Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC won't open another LR CC file

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I'm editing files for a photographer, and we're both using LR CC. We're both updated to the most recent version. However, I can't open his files. I get an error that says his catalogs are too new to be opened by my version of LR. But I'm using the most recent version of LR. Any suggestions? We're both using Mac OS. I've never had this problem with LR CC before.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Yeah you are running the old version. The update to this version is called "Lightroom Classic CC" and you can find it in your creative cloud app. Just install it from there and you will be able to open the catalog files from your photographer who has already updated his Lightroom to the latest version. Note that in creative cloud app you will see an option called "Lightroom CC" which is not the same thing and will not open your photographer's catalog files! Adobe just wanted to confuse everybody

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the version number on your Lightroom. It should say 7.0.1 release in about and "Lightroom Classic version: 7.0.1 [ 1142117 ]" in Help->System Info. You should see a lady with purple glasses in the splash screen. If you see leaves in the splash screen you are running Lightroom CC which is a completely different and new program. Adobe decided to confuse everyone by using the name of an existing program for something completely new and incompatible in many ways with the old product known by the same name. The Lightroom you know is now called "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC". You can update your Lightroom from the creative cloud app but make sure to choose the classic version, not the CC version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, but I don't understand. I upgraded to the CC version earlier this year from LR 6 stand-alone. I am running the PS/LR photographer subscription bundle. I don't understand the difference between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC. This is what I see in my System Info :

Lightroom version: CC 2015.13 [ 1141928 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.10 [5]

I've been processing work for this photographer all year with no problems, so I don't know what would have suddenly caused an issue. I updated through the app this morning when I got the error, but updating didn't fix the problem. Should I uninstall and re-install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah you are running the old version. The update to this version is called "Lightroom Classic CC" and you can find it in your creative cloud app. Just install it from there and you will be able to open the catalog files from your photographer who has already updated his Lightroom to the latest version. Note that in creative cloud app you will see an option called "Lightroom CC" which is not the same thing and will not open your photographer's catalog files! Adobe just wanted to confuse everybody clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the differences between the two watch this video: Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic CC - Which Workflow is Best for You? - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you - i wasn't aware adobe had split the app into two different versions. i'm sure there's an email sitting in my "promotions" folder that i haven't seen. that's why i was so confused. totally makes sense now. and i've also confirmed that clients have upgraded to "classic" without telling me - so that is indeed the problem. appreciate the help! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines