13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2009 4:42 AM by Design Esclusivo

Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista

wwarby
      Hi all,

I have a pretty decent laptop (Dual core 2Ghz Intel, 2GB ram) which I recently "upgraded" from XP to Vista. Amongst many, many woes that have ensued from this dubious decision is the fact that paintbrush tools in Fireworks have become slow to the point of being unusable. With no other apps running, I open a blank canvas and select the paint tool and draw a line across the canvas and the line trails behind the cursor like it's in no rush to get anywhere. After I let go of the mouse button it takes a good 5 seconds for the line to finish drawing. This problem didn't exist when I had XP installed. I'm on the latest release of Fireworks (9.0.1) and the latest service pack for Vista. Painting is fine in Photoshop and I have not seen any other obvious problems in Fireworks. Unfortunately, the paintbrush is one of those tools I just can't do without. Help!

-William
        • 1. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
          SiamJai Level 2
          quote:

Originally posted by: wwarby
          Hi all,

I have a pretty decent laptop (Dual core 2Ghz Intel, 2GB ram) which I recently "upgraded" from XP to Vista. Amongst many, many woes that have ensued from this dubious decision is the fact that paintbrush tools in Fireworks have become slow to the point of being unusable. With no other apps running, I open a blank canvas and select the paint tool and draw a line across the canvas and the line trails behind the cursor like it's in no rush to get anywhere. After I let go of the mouse button it takes a good 5 seconds for the line to finish drawing. This problem didn't exist when I had XP installed. I'm on the latest release of Fireworks (9.0.1) and the latest service pack for Vista. Painting is fine in Photoshop and I have not seen any other obvious problems in Fireworks. Unfortunately, the paintbrush is one of those tools I just can't do without. Help!

-William

It's a known bug, but there are ways to work around the issue. This topic lists some of those.

Hope that helps,

SiamJai
          ~~~~
          http://design.thaiwonders.com - Innovative Fireworks & Game Art Community
          • 2. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
            wwarby Level 1
            Ah, thanks. I did search for a solution but I was obviously using the wrong keywords. The workaround works, it's just annoying that you can't see the edge of your brush. At least it makes the app usable though ;)
            • 3. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
              SiamJai Level 2
              No problem. :-)

The good news is that this issue is going to be fixed in Fireworks CS4 (supposedly), so there is something to look forward to. :-)
              • 4. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                Level 7
                I don't post here very often, but came to ask about a frustrating problem -
                and then my eye just happened to fall on this post, which describes my
                problem in exact, precise detail. :-)

I'll try the posted workaround. But this seems like a pretty huge thing to
                call a "bug", isn't it? One of the main functions of the program basically
                doesn't work at all?

--
                Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                --

"wwarby" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g383lk$gg1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi all,
                >
                > I have a pretty decent laptop (Dual core 2Ghz Intel, 2GB ram) which I
                > recently
                > "upgraded" from XP to Vista. Amongst many, many woes that have ensued from
                > this
                > dubious decision is the fact that paintbrush tools in Fireworks have
                > become
                > slow to the point of being unusable. With no other apps running, I open a
                > blank
                > canvas and select the paint tool and draw a line across the canvas and the
                > line
                > trails behind the cursor like it's in no rush to get anywhere. After I let
                > go
                > of the mouse button it takes a good 5 seconds for the line to finish
                > drawing.
                > This problem didn't exist when I had XP installed. I'm on the latest
                > release of
                > Fireworks (9.0.1) and the latest service pack for Vista. Painting is fine
                > in
                > Photoshop and I have not seen any other obvious problems in Fireworks.
                > Unfortunately, the paintbrush is one of those tools I just can't do
                > without.
                > Help!
                >
                > -William
                >

• 5. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                  Level 7
                  Ok, I've read the thread and I see that it's already a pretty big issue. I'm
                  a little confused because I don't think I have the "Aero" setting in Vista -
                  but I'm not sure where to look for it. Any help would be appreciated.

I did "Turn off Brush-size painting cursors", which seems to be working.
                  Since there were at least 4 workarounds suggested in that thread, I'm not
                  sure which one is best..

--
                  --

"P@tty Ayers ~ACE" <signup1REMOVE@ayersvirtualREMOVE.com> wrote in message
                  news:g393ah$loi$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I don't post here very often, but came to ask about a frustrating problem -
                  >and then my eye just happened to fall on this post, which describes my
                  >problem in exact, precise detail. :-)
                  >
                  > I'll try the posted workaround. But this seems like a pretty huge thing to
                  > call a "bug", isn't it? One of the main functions of the program basically
                  > doesn't work at all?
                  >
                  >
                  > --
                  > Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                  > Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                  > Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                  > --
                  >
                  > "wwarby" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  > news:g383lk$gg1$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >> Hi all,
                  >>
                  >> I have a pretty decent laptop (Dual core 2Ghz Intel, 2GB ram) which I
                  >> recently
                  >> "upgraded" from XP to Vista. Amongst many, many woes that have ensued
                  >> from this
                  >> dubious decision is the fact that paintbrush tools in Fireworks have
                  >> become
                  >> slow to the point of being unusable. With no other apps running, I open a
                  >> blank
                  >> canvas and select the paint tool and draw a line across the canvas and
                  >> the line
                  >> trails behind the cursor like it's in no rush to get anywhere. After I
                  >> let go
                  >> of the mouse button it takes a good 5 seconds for the line to finish
                  >> drawing.
                  >> This problem didn't exist when I had XP installed. I'm on the latest
                  >> release of
                  >> Fireworks (9.0.1) and the latest service pack for Vista. Painting is fine
                  >> in
                  >> Photoshop and I have not seen any other obvious problems in Fireworks.
                  >> Unfortunately, the paintbrush is one of those tools I just can't do
                  >> without.
                  >> Help!
                  >>
                  >> -William
                  >>
                  >

• 6. Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                    pixlor Level 4
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    Ok, I've read the thread and I see that it's already a pretty big issue. I'm
                    a little confused because I don't think I have the "Aero" setting in Vista -
                    but I'm not sure where to look for it. Any help would be appreciated.

I did "Turn off Brush-size painting cursors", which seems to be working.
                    Since there were at least 4 workarounds suggested in that thread, I'm not
                    sure which one is best..

To turn off Aero for your system, follow the instructions here (originally posted by JoeyD1978): http://www.vistaclues.com/turn-off-the-fancy-windows-vista-aero-interface/

To turn off Aero for Fireworks (turns Areo of when Fireworks is running) do this (originally posted by balupton):
                    "I found a workaround that I don't mind, right click the fireworks.exe, go to properties, compatibility, and check "disable desktop composition", that will turn off aero only when you are using fireworks."

I found that if I set the compatibility mode to XP SP 2 and Disable desktop composition for Fireworks, the the scheme changes to Vista basic when I start up Fireworks and I can use the Bitmap tools.

You have Aero if your application title bars are slightly transparent. Since you're experiencing the bug, I would guess that's the case. Try turning off Aero for just Fireworks and see what that does for you.
                    • 7. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                      wwarby Level 1
                      For sure, this bug sucks. I'm not prepared to disable the aero interface just for one application so instead I'll take the workaround of not being able to see the brush size when I'm painting. Assuming it is fixed in CS4, I'll upgrade straight away and then it'll only be a few months until I have a working brush again. It is really bad though that Adobe didn't fix this problem in the current version of the software - this is a premium priced application and it should come with premium support, especially for current platforms like Vista.

quote:

I'll try the posted workaround. But this seems like a pretty huge thing to
                      call a "bug", isn't it? One of the main functions of the program basically
                      doesn't work at all?

• 8. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                        the information on fireworks has helped me a lot.thank you very much for all the help
                        • 9. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                          Level 7

"pixlor" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:g3a43r$ooi$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> To turn off Aero for your system, follow the instructions here (originally
                          > posted by JoeyD1978):
                          > http://www.vistaclues.com/turn-off-the-fancy-windows-vista-aero-interface/
                          >
                          > To turn off Aero for Fireworks (turns Areo of when Fireworks is running)
                          > do
                          > this (originally posted by balupton):
                          > "I found a workaround that I don't mind, right click the fireworks.exe, go
                          > to
                          > properties, compatibility, and check "disable desktop composition", that
                          > will
                          > turn off aero only when you are using fireworks."
                          >
                          > You have Aero if your application title bars are slightly transparent.
                          > Since
                          > you're experiencing the bug, I would guess that's the case. Try turning
                          > off
                          > Aero for just Fireworks and see what that does for you.

Thanks very much!

--
                          --

• 10. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                            migo33
                            The good news is that this issue is going to be fixed in Fireworks CS4 (supposedly), so there is something to look forward to. :-)

Why should I look forward for something that work just fine, bug free almost in previous versions? as a premium paying costumers we are eligible to receive premium support and fixes to know problems. I am not looking forward to CS4 and neither am going to pay for that. I think a good solid law suite against Adobe will end all this nonsense. in any other industry you will have a recall or free replacement for a DEFECT product. FW CS3 is a defected product. not to mention DW CS3 on a Mac.

I am finding other solutions and actually abandoned DW. I will go back to FW MX or 8 and wont pay Adobe a single cent. there is just no reason to.
                            • 11. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                              pixlor Level 4
                              quote:

Originally posted by: wwarby
                              For sure, this bug sucks. I'm not prepared to disable the aero interface just for one application

You don't have to turn off Aero completely. You can selectively turn Aero off for individual applications. For instance, I installed Fontographer (which I used to run under NT), and I need to have Aero off to run that. The only noticeable difference is your title bars aren't semi-transparent. Lots of programs aren't compatible with Aero.
                              • 12. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista
                                i hope i can now use individual applications. but what to do with the other kind of applications
                                • 13. Re: Poor Paintbrush Performance on Vista

Hi everybody, I had the same problem and the solution is:

Windows Vista has a fancy new Aero interface that makes the windows look like glass and provides very cool 3D effects. Performance tests have shown that Aero won’t slow your computer down. However, you might want to disable Aero if you prefer a simpler user interface or if you need to take screenshots.
                                  To disable Windows Aero and return to a simpler time, follow the steps:
                                  1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Click Appearance and Personalization.

3. Under Personalization, click Change the color scheme.

I use the "Windows Vista Basic" and now Fireworks works perfectly...

PS: In italiano:

Per farsì che gli strumenti vari, pennello, matita, gomma, etc., di Fireworks non traballino rendendoti impossibile lavorare con Vista, è necessario cambiare le impostazioni dello schermo:

1. Vai su START e accedi al pannelo di controllo

2. Vai su PERSONALIZZAZIONE / Modifica della combinazione di colori

3. ASPETTO - deseleziona AERO e scegli Windows Vista Basic

Controlla, adesso i tuoi strumenti funzionano perfettamente!!!!

Thanks to all