• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why not a pure black and white (1bit) option?

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked this off every other Android scanner app developer and have yet got a reply. When I open up a 'greyscale' pdf created in a scanner app I  Acrobat pro I've noticed that they are always faux greyscale. That is, the images are saved in 3 channel, 24 bit RGB, not 8 grey.

I just installed this app but haven't tested it to see if it does the same, but I somehow suspect so. Given the data savings and the limited storage of mobile devices, I would have thought every effort would be made to give the users a chance to make smaller files.

And going even further, why not a pure 1bit black and white option? Given the high resolution of many device cameras now, 1 bit would be more than fine for good readability and faster /easier sharing/printing and storage. I've tested 1bit converted versions of pdfs made on Android apps and they function fine for viewing (with my Samsung Note 4, it's a 400 dpi embedded image). What's more, the pure bw versions are anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10 the file size of the ones I source them from.

I would think that if anyone could understand and implement this option well it would be Adobe. When people understand the advantages, it could be a real selling point.

Granted, it would work best for plain, pure, 1 colour, solid originals. But that fits for what I would guess are a majority of scan targets: cash reg receipts, invoices, most business cards.

I hope Adobe will consider taking the lead on this.

TOPICS
Android

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Hi Broacher,

Thanks for putting your efforts and time on this. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Would suggest you to share your findings by filling the feature request form, which would be more effective.

Use this form to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features-

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Broacher,

Thanks for putting your efforts and time on this. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Would suggest you to share your findings by filling the feature request form, which would be more effective.

Use this form to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features-

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines