7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2009 5:56 AM by fmaas@incontext.nl

Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute

fmaas@incontext.nl
      I have migrated existing e-coaching app to Flex 3.2 / Flash 10 / Stratus.
      I still use own Flash Media Server for shared objects and recording.
      Now we experience unacceptable delays during startup of a session.
      I'm really stuck with this, as all other things work fine and the reduced latency is really what we need!.

This is what goes wrong:
      Two instances of the app run on two different machines: one is MacBook Pro and other in PC running Vista. Both use FireFox 3.0.5. Both run on the same local wireless network.
      Both start an instance of the app and successfully connect to Stratus in an eye wink.
      Then, after a while, both users decide to connect by each pressing a button.
      Once both sides have pressed the button, they start to exchange peer-id's (via a sharedobject). This also happens in an eye wink.
      As soon as peer id is received, app subscribes to the outgoing stream of the peer and publishes its own.
      Obviously own camera and microphone are attached to own outgoing stream, and incoming stream of peer is attached to a videodisplay component.
      ---------------- HERE IS THE DELAY OF UP TO A MINUTE, FOR BOTH SIDES EQUAL -------------
      As soon as the peer connects, his/her picture show immediately on the screen.
      The application has a function to close such a session and open a new session with the same or a different peer. (Still using same own NetConnection to Stratus.)
      ---------------- THESE SECOND OR FURTHER SESSIONS NEVER HAVE A DELAY -------------
      This functionally works OK, no problem with that.
      The only problem is the often long delay for the FIRST session to start.

This same problem occurs with the sample videophone application on http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/stratus/samples/ .

This problem looks like the problem earlier reported by SeantronicR&D, so I have made sure that the onPeerConnect client is set prior to the publish call.

I have no listener or control streams in my app, because I use shared objects for that.

If you need any additional info please let me know.

Regards,
      Frans Maas
        • 1. Re: Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute
          Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee
          based on your description, here's what i think is going on:

i believe you have a NAT device with extremely short translation timeouts (less than one minute). so for a period of time, the peer introduction can't reach the intended destination because it has changed addresses but Stratus doesn't know that yet. within that one minute period, the destination Flash Player sends a keepalive packet to Stratus, which makes it notice the destination has a new address. at that time, the introduction packets from the initiator Flash Player can be delivered, and the peer-to-peer session can come up.

your second & further sessions won't have a delay because the low-level RTMFP peer-to-peer session already exists between them (it'll stay around for several minutes before being shut down if idle), and either 1) the peers are both behind the same NAT so their addresses don't change, or 2) peer-to-peer sessions have shorter keepalive periods, so the NAT translations are kept alive, or 3) you're re-trying before the NAT translation could time out.

does the up-to-a-minute delay happen if you try to make a peer-to-peer connection *right* after connecting to Stratus (within a few seconds)? both ends would need to connect to Stratus and a connection be attempted between them all within the span of a few seconds. if there is no up-to-a-minute delay, then my diagnosis is probably correct. if there is always that delay, even immediately after connecting to Stratus, then it might be something else, but we would need more information.

if possible, you should extend the translation timeout on your NAT to be no less than one minute.

-mike

• 2. Re: Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute
            fmaas@incontext.nl Level 1
            Thanks for the extensive answer. I will have a more in depth look tomorrow. A quick answer to "... if you try to make a peer-to-peer connection *right* after connecting to Stratus (within a few seconds)?" though:
            My initial code created the stratus connection just in time, closing it down after the session. In order to save time I moved the opening of the Stratus connection backward in time. So the initial design was doing exactly what you ask me to do now. Another reason to move the code wa to come closer to the Videophone sample app, which also separates the Connect from the Call in the same way.

Rgds, Frans
            • 3. Re: Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute
              Hi Mark,

I worked on this all day. Have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. As this doesn't have NAT config possibilities, replaced firmware by DD-WRT v23 SP2. This gives me Telnet access with VeryBusyBox v1.2.1 command set.
              I couldn't find any NAT config possibility on the web interface, so I had to dive into command mode.
              Now, this isn't obvious either, but I found in the directory /proc/sys/net/ipv4 the following files with content as below.
              I have no idea how to work from here. Are you familiar with this?
              /proc/sys/net/ipv4 # cat ip_conntrack_udp_timeouts
              65 180
              /proc/sys/net/ipv4 # cat ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts
              1800 3600 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120
              /proc/sys/net/ipv4 # cat tcp_fin_timeout

Furthermore the box supports many network related command like ifconfig, ip, iptables, etc, but I have no clue where to start.

By the way: I am pretty sure that my machines have very stable ip addresses, so if the problem would be that client ip adresses are constantly changing then I think we are on the wrong track. But may be NAT translation timeout is something different, I a mot an expert in this.

The other thing, about moving the NetConnection.connect closer to the peer stream publish and subscribe calls doesn't solve the problem, because this is what my first solution looked like. The reason to move the NetConnection.connect call to the beginning of the main program was just because I hoped this would give Stratus a bit more time for setting up, so that by the time the users press the connect button, Stratus would be ready with that process.

Anyway, I hope you can give me some hints how to proceed.

Regards,
              Frans
              • 4. Re: Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute
                Mark,

Investigated network traffic.
                Discovered that delays happen only with initial publish/subscribe after NetConnection.connect.
                Any further stopping and re-publishing and re-subscribing to streams (always using same stream name by-the-way) works instantaneously and only shows traffic between the peers, not with any Stratus server.
                I captured and filtered relevant packets and filtered relevant application trace lines from flashlog.txt.

Captured Packets
                Application Trace

Hope this helps!

Regards, Frans
                • 5. Re: Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute
                  Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee
                  Hi Frans.

Congratulations, you found a bug in Stratus! :)

I have corrected the bug, and now it should work much better for you. Please give it a try and let us know.

-mike

• 6. Re: Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute
                    Hi Mike,

This is really great! I can confirm that the delay has gone. Streams start immediately after connect now.

Happy to have been of help!

I have been reading a lot the last few days about NAT and related issues for peer-to-peer connectivity. Really great stuff and more complexity than I was aware of.
                    We will continue testing in various network configurations and report any further issues via this forum.

Regards, Frans
                    • 7. Setup of first stream often takes upto a minute
                      (can be removed; duplicate posting due to network issues)