This content has been marked as final. Show 3 replies
Welcome to the forum1 person found this helpful
There is a problem here but I am not seeing quite the same as you.
Open the supplied Customer Care project and go to the topic Auto Loans.
Note the Topic Title in Properties is Auto Loans but in the topic the heading is a variable.
Now generate the WebHelp UK output and search on Car Loans.
You will see Auto Loans is the topic title listed as topic titles cannot include variables, there is no way of entering them. What you are doing is putting them in the topic heading which is not the same thing.
So you can have variables in the topic heading and the topic will be found by the search including the variable. Your topic titles however need to be reconsidered.
Thanks for your reply Peter.
Yes, it is indeed a limitation of RoboHelp and the way it uses HTML:
* The topic title that appears in the topic's properties and in search results is stored in the HTML head <title> element.
* The HTML 4.01 standard does not permit other elements inside <title> (see http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.2).
* Therefore, variables (which function via the <uservariable> tag) do not work in topic titles. Attempting to do so will result in all topic titles being cut off at the point where the <uservariable> tag ends, and will also (at least in my case) crash RoboHelp when you attempt to open the topic.
1. Create a backup of your help project.
2. Use some find/replace tool or script to change the topic titles. In my case I used a series of Perl commands to do a find and replace. E.g.:
perl -pi -e 's/\<title\>How to change a variable\<\/title\>/\<title\>How to change a tyre\<\/title\>/' How_to.htm
I hope Adobe finds a way to fix this problem. It is a serious limitation.
I don't think variable were intended to work in the Topic Title. As I indicated the variable do work in the Topic Heading, albeit with the issue I highlighted when you search. Don't forget, the topic title is not part of the topic.1 person found this helpful
Nonetheless, I have alerted Adobe to this thread so perhaps in a future release. It helps if you add post a request at