• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush Strokes Tapering In Preview, But Not In Project...

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I was doodling, I realized some of my brushes aren't working the same exact way in sketch as they do in photoshop. I tried to fiddle with the settings to see if I could fix it, and while scribbling they worked fine in the preview of the brush. When I went to draw again, there was no change.

Here's some screenshots to kinda visualize it a bit better. As you can see, in the preview the brush tapers off fine, but on the canvas when I try to do the exact same stroke, nothing. The pen pressure works fine otherwise. 

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, please let me know!

ss1.pngss2.pngss3.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marina.

Thanks for the screenshots; they make it super clear that's the stroke isn't appearing as expected. One quick question so I can share the information with the Sketch team:

What version of Draw are you using? Is it the most recent v4.5?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using v4.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Marina.

Sorry, one more question/comment: I know you said "some" of the brushes but since your screenshot shows just one I wanted to check... Are the brushes you're having trouble with all in the same brush pack? If so, which one is it?

Asking because I quickly asked the engineer handling brush import and he remembered putting a fix into the app (a couple of versions ago) to resolve this exact problem. He was curious whether it was something you were experiencing a lot.

Thanks for your time with this.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry about that, it is with all of my brushes.The one I'm using is a custom one, and the rest of the brushes are all from Kyle's Megapack and Watercolor packs. I also just checked with the default brushes and it does the same with those (or rather, the ones that should taper off). I can provide more examples of different brushes if youd like!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Marina.

No. Not a problem at all. The information you've given me is great. I'm just a bit confused... It's ALL your brushes? Even the default set? What device are you using? And are you using a stylus?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of them, including the default. I'm using the apple pencil and ipad pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marina.

OK, thanks. I figured you were on an iPad Pro with Pencil, but wanted to make sure.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marina.

Thanks again.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Have you checked that the brush dynamics that you are using in Sketch match those in PS? I noticed, for example, that you have the Brush Flow dynamics switched off in Sketch, as well as Opacity etc. Are these on or off in PS? If your brush dynamics are different then the strokes will not be the same. What are you using to paint with in PS? Is it a Wacom tablet? If so then it can be tricky to get the settings to match exactly. You can also adjust the Wacom control panel setting to get things to look more similar, as well as the PS brush dynamic settings and Sketch dynamic settings. Good luck and let me know if I can be of more help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main concern is that it's working fine in the preview (default brushes included), and not on the canvas. I don't really care if it works the same as it does in PS, but I do want the brush to taper off in the end like it does in the previews in Sketch, because a lot of how I draw depends on that. It's more clear when I use the default Marker Brush, keeping all of the settings the same and putting the pressure up to 100%.

Doing the same exact type of stroke, they work completely differently. I originally thought I wasn't pressing with the pencil correctly, but even when I try to press hard and then have little/no pressure, I get no change on the canvas.

ss5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case it sounds like there may be a pairing issue with the Apple pencil? When I use mine I get pretty much exactly whats shown in the preview pane. Have you tried using your pencil on other apps? Does the same thing happen with them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked that the Pencil is paired to your iPad in the Bluetooth Settings? Sorry to ask but its best to rule out the obvious first 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all good! Honestly I'll answer any question to get this resolved.

The brushes tapers off perfectly and as it's supposed to in Procreate and it is connected via Bluetooth in my settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Marina.

Have you by any chance tried uninstalling/reinstalling Sketch?

Don't uninstall until you've checked to make sure all your work is synced to Creative Cloud. To check that, sign in with your Adobe ID to http://assets.adobe.com/assets/mobile?filter=sketch and see if you see all your work there. If you don't, don't uninstall Sketch until all your work is synced.

Sue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried I also recently updated my iPad to v11. Could that have anything to do with it?

Going to try un/reinstalling one more time and see if that helps anything. Will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Un/Reinstalled sketch and no change.

Also tried un-pairing the apple pencil and re-pairing and no change with that either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marina.

This is a strange one. I have to assume it's not happening to everyone or I'd be hearing from A LOT of people... but the fact that it might only be happening to you also makes it super odd.

I'll ask our engineer if he's discovered anything.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you heard anything? I just tried resetting my iPad and still no change. It seems so crazy that I'd be the only one to have this problem... I'm trying to see if anyone else with an iPad Pro is having the issue too.

Could it be that no ones noticed?? Like I said, the pen pressure does work, it just only tapers off correctly in the preview. I'm really stumped as to what could be the problem and am frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marina.

I completely understand how frustrating it is. I talked to the engineer and he just doesn't even know what to suggest or what to think about what's going on.

There is one other customer having trouble with "tilt" on some of the pencils but I've heard from no one having the problem you're having. I have someone else looking at it today to see if a different perspective will offer some insight.

I'm not giving up on it.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Sue! I really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marina.

I had someone comment on the "strokes" of one of Kyle's brushes and asked her how much pressure she was using with her Pencil. She wasn't using any. Since getting variation in strokes does require some manipulation with regard to pressure, can you try something for me?

Be super deliberate with your strokes, use more firm pressure then lighten up on it and see if you get the taper.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sue, here’s another example using the default marker brush, but with the pressure size turned to 100%. I do the same exact type of strokes (Firmly pressing to no pressure in a quick line) in the preview. On the bottom set I press hard as well, but lift off slowly to little/no pressure.

The same exact type of stroke I draw in the preview Is the type I’ve been doing in the upper set. I think I’m extra stumped because with the same brush and the same type of stroke, drawing in the preview/settings of the brush works differently than on the canvas.

852801C9-CEE1-40D8-B6F3-232EDF804877.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like something to do with your velocity dynamics not working as expected. As you say, the pressure is making little difference, it’s the speed of drawing that’s affecting it. Have you tried experimenting with velocity dynamics all the way up, and then all the way down, to see what suits your style of drawing? You may be able to compensate for the discrepancy by experimenting with the VD Size and Flow settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines