Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TCP issue

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Boost Asio library to send data to the server over TCP in my plugin. Here is piece of code I'm trying to run from Render() function:

boost::asio::io_service aios;

boost::asio::ip::tcp::endpoint ep(boost::asio::ip::address::from_string("127.0.0.1"), 8000); // use localhost and port 8000

boost::asio::ip::tcp::socket sock(aios);

sock.connect(ep);

sock.send(boost::asio::buffer(message));

This code crashes in the last line with the following error message: "The system detected an invalid pointer address in attempting to use a pointer argument in a call".

In the same time this code works fine from the standalone application. Moreover, if I run this standalone applicaion as a child process from Render() function, all things work correctly.

What may be the reason of the described behavior?

Thanks,

Ilia

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ping... Can anyone help with this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe application may use the ports 8000 and onwards for debugging, opening a listening port for that on their NodeJS instance I think if activated. Maybe that is what is causing your problems. Have your tried using another port, e.g. in the 20000+ area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Toby, for your answer!

I tried another port (20100) but result is the same ("The system detected an invalid pointer address in attempting to use a pointer argument in a call").

Interesting that this code (with any port) works on Mac without any problem, so it's only Windows issue. Another interesting point: if I compile this piece of code as standaloge application and run this app from Render() function (as a child process) it works correctly (even with port 8000)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another random try: run cmd.exe as an administrator and type the following command: netsh winsock reset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the actual error, it seems it is the description for the Winsock error code WSAEFAULT when using bind().
Check this link: bind Function (Windows)
"This error is returned if the name parameter is NULL, the name or namelen parameter is not a valid part of the user address space, the namelen parameter is too small, the name parameter contains an incorrect address format for the associated address family, or the first two bytes of the memory block specified by name do not match the address family associated with the socket descriptor s."

It is commonly thrown when trying to use an IPv6 address on an IPv4 descriptor and vice-versa.

I haven't used boost/asio in quite a while, but try using this in your third line:

boost::asio::ip::tcp::socket sock(aios, ep.protocol());

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Toby!

I solved this problem by using WinSock code (which also works on Mac, you just have to include another header files). I tried to use netsh winsock reset and ep.protocol() but it didn't help with Boost...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines