23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2017 6:48 AM by trshaner

All photos on my NAS are now missing but can't be re-added because duplicates?

x022098

I don't know when this started since I only just noticed it yesterday.   All of the images on my NAS have exclamation points next to them and if I click on them, I get a message, "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo". 

More current photos (from the past year or two) on local drives are fine and the files on the NAS are in fact where lightroom thinks they are.

In some cases, I get a message the Lightroom cannot locate the image.  I point it to the proper directory (the one it is already looking at incidentally) and then I get this message:

The file <filename> is associated with another photo in the catalog.

Each file can only be associated with one photo.

So my questions are:

1. How did this happen?

2. How do I fix it?

3. Why can't lightroom show me the supposed duplicate image associated with the file?

I am beginning to panic because my catalog is pretty large and the files on the NAS are ones from more than a year ago.  If I have to restore the catalog from a backup, I'm not sure how far back I'd have to go and then whatever changes have been made to the current couple of years would be lost.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.