3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2017 5:40 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Problems after updating a project to Premiere CC 2018

raygun76

I don't really feel like getting into it - especially coming off of a massive Pilot edit - but here goes...  It was pretty awful beforehand, don't get me wrong, and your support is laughable if not insane.  Upgraded to 2018 about 1/3rd  of the way through a 6 day shoot, 4k multicamera 30 minute pilot - My system is more than capable of handling the bandwidth...  I've been editing this way for over a year with only the typical awful adobe dysfunctions... yeah yeah, i'm an *** for assuming updating to 2018 would in any way benefit me or my project...  Right off the bat, all my presets and settings?  Gone.  The new FC7 ability to open multiple prjects?  Moronic.  Half the time, my main project was open in the background and i had no idea.  Proxies all became unattached from ALL SIX hours and would not re-attach...  that was awesome.  My window layout?  Well every so often it just went completely missing...  Like all my panels were turnt off.  That was hilarious.  Crashes went up to about 50% (it crashed a lot beforehand too, so... this was worse).  Lost sync randomly and glitched out like a broken robot at least twice an hour.  Playback lag was a real treat!  I dunno - every day it seemed there was another major issue.  Rendering audio on export alone took about 1.5 hours (audio??  in 1987 you could render audio faster than real time!)

I started editing on a Media 100.  If I dusted that system off and fired it up, it would be more reliable than this latest disaster of an update.  And so, now I have to look into converting my space into an AVID shop, as it's clear Adobe has decided to circle the drain along with Apple.  Pretty sad as when FC7 went goodbye, everyone in the industry was apprehensive of Premiere but it really started strong.  Just seems like Adobe 'stopped caring' once they secured their foothold.

Anyway... you guys suck, figured i'd let you know.

Mod note: Title changed to reflect actual issues

• 1. Re: What on earth happened to Premiere in 2018?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a public forum, not Adobe Support.  Although some Adobe staff do sometimes post here, we are mostly users like you.

If you really want to send a message to Adobe, go here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What on earth happened to Premiere in 2018?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Upgraded to 2018 about 1/3rd  of the way through a 6 day shoot

Never a good idea to upgrade while you are working on a project

Sounds like it's too late now, but you can go back a version

-kglad links in reply #1 here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2406862 may help

--including links to recover older versions of programs after doing an update

-and SOME direct zip links https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-apps-download.html

• 3. Re: What on earth happened to Premiere in 2018?
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Raygun,

Anyway... you guys suck, figured i'd let you know.

Sorry for the frustration. However, do keep in mind that we are actual human beings here and we don't appreciate commentary like that. We in support are only here to help you.

If it's the product itself you are having trouble with, by all means, file bugs here. Any complaints about the product can't be addressed here. This forum is specifically for solving your editing issues.

I don't really feel like getting into it - especially coming off of a massive Pilot edit - but here goes... 

Before I read on, it sounds like you updated your project across major software versions. Most editors do not recommend doing that. It can be quite dangerous to the sum total of all the work you've done so far—especially if it's a complex project.

Here's my blog post on that very topic. You may need a new strategy when new versions of Premiere Pro (or any other NLE you wish to use) are released.

Upgraded to 2018 about 1/3rd  of the way through a 6 day shoot, 4k multicamera 30 minute pilot

I've noticed that multicamera sequences do not survive well when projects are updated across major new versions as the multicamera function is often subject to new features, bug fixes, and adjustments to the feature. In the future, you probably want to remain on the current version of any project containing multicamera sequences.

yeah yeah, i'm an *** for assuming updating to 2018 would in any way benefit me or my project...

Sorry that you got burned. Keep in mind that when you update, by default, you leave behind a backup. You can always work with a previous version of Premiere Pro with this backup. Hopefully, you have not wasted too much time battling issues and unexpected behavior in the new version. You do have a backup, though, don't you?

Right off the bat, all my presets and settings?

Did you run Sync Settings before updating? That can save a good number of items when migrating across versions. Feel free to see if that works for you.

The new FC7 ability to open multiple prjects?  Moronic. Half the time, my main project was open in the background and i had no idea.

You may have to get used to some new workflows, including how to ensure which project you're working in. The top bar of the application shows the active project, for example. Setting up Preferences for Bins might be helpful so that projects land in the Project panel.

Proxies all became unattached from ALL SIX hours and would not re-attach...  that was awesome.

See this thread. I hope it contains some helpful info on reattaching those proxies. I'm sure there's a way to get back on track here.

My window layout?  Well every so often it just went completely missing...  Like all my panels were turnt off. 

I have seen something similar when users try to close the Workspaces panel. Choose Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout to reset your panels.

Crashes went up to about 50% (it crashed a lot beforehand too, so... this was worse).

Updated projects can spool up a pretty bad memory leak. Can you try the same media in a new project and see if the same kind of crashing occurs?

Playback lag was a real treat!  I dunno - every day it seemed there was another major issue.

This may have something to do with saved workspaces, existing media, corrupt media cache, or audio hardware preferences not set correctly. Make sure your workspace is reset, your media cache has been trashed, and check your audio hardware preferences. Above all, test this in a new project.

Rendering audio on export alone took about 1.5 hours (audio??  in 1987 you could render audio faster than real time!)

There is something odd with that.

your support is laughable if not insane.

I suggest you work 1-1 with our agents here. Ask for the "video queue." We can help troubleshoot this and your other issues. If our agents do not help you, then send me a PM and I will escalate your case.

Sorry again for the pain around updating the software. Granted, it should be a whole lot easier to update software.

Regards,
              Kevin

2 people found this helpful