Exit

MOV files appear to be corrupted

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone could help me.

I have recently returned from a 2 week holiday in Florida with a 32gb micro SD card full of holiday videos taken on a GoPro style camera 1920 x 1080 30fps H.264 in a .mov container.

Upon putting the card into my laptop I began to import the footage into Premiere Pro. I could view the videos absolutely fine no problems, everything crystal clear and great footage. Half way through one of the videos it started to "pixelate" and show signs of what appears to be corruption. I just assumed it was that file so went back to one of the videos that originally played fine with no issues and that appears to be corrupted too. I then went on to check all of the videos and, you guessed it, all corrupted. Absolutely devastating to discover I'm sure you can understand. Even if I take Premiere Pro out of the equation, open the file itself from the memory card and play through any player it is corrupted. It is also the same on a completely different laptop with no Premiere Pro installed. I know for a fact these videos were fine as they started to play with no issues when I originally put the card into the laptop. They also played back on the camera fine, this problem only occurred when inserting the card into the laptop for the first time. If I try to view them on the camera now however, it plays the first second or so then says there is a file error.

Unfortunately I didn't copy the files from the card anywhere else before attempting to play them so essentially the files are completely ruined. I have tried some basic corruption troubleshooting but none of that has made any difference. In fact, no software seems to even recognise the files as being corrupted.

What I don't understand is how the files can go from playing absolutely fine to completely corrupted in a second. No power failure or abrupt disconnection issues, just corrupted whilst playing a the file. Could this be memory card corruption? If this is the case I don't understand why it didn't happen whilst recording the videos. I've included some info below.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.5 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M

The memory card is a Toshiba Exceria 32gb Micro SD

As you can see by screenshots below, the corruption is showing at the bottom of the footage but randomly jumps around the frame when playing. Also note that the frame rate jumps around a lot too. It was all recorded at 30fps and when it was originally played before this problem happened, it stayed at 30fps when playing. There's also a crazy amount of frames dropped when playing according to MPC. It just seems like the H.264 wrapper is completely and utterly nackered and I now have a very upset girlfriend to deal with!

Anyone have any ideas? I really appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Examine the files with MediaInfo, opening the file and then go to Tree view.  your examples above have crazy frame rates showing.  So I am guessing they are variable frame rates which are not compatible with Premiere.  Normally you have to convert them to constant frame rates and a tool to do this is HandBrake.  I do not know if opening in Premiere and then saving a project could do anything to corrupt your media.  Here is one of my son's GoPro 4K files. notice that it is constant frame rate.  Also note that GoPro recommends using Studio software that they provide to transcode their long GOP codec media to Cineform for ease of editing.  I hope I got that last correct I do not use GoPro myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the GoPro Studio software manual ...

GoPro Cineform Manual why convert.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for this, very useful. The camera I used is an Activeon CX so only a GoPro style camera. Not sure if this is still relevant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of those type cameras ... and all drones, and most DSLR mov/mp4 and mirrorless-M4/3 cameras use similarly long-GOP media and are rough to edit from. So I would expect the info would be just as pertinent.

As is suggested up the line in this thread, getting solid info on that media would be good. So ... please download the MediaInfo app, install so it's on your desktop, then drag/drop a file onto it. That app will open, select to view in "Tree" mode, get a screen grab of the video section, and post it back here.

Should be the same section of video info as in Bill's post above.

Neil

Media Info:        https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I have done that and this what it's come back with...no surprises to see it's variable frame rate although the minimum and maximum aren't miles apart. Still worth converting with something like Handbrake do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter how close/far apart the min/max are... Premiere Pro (and Premiere Elements) do not work properly with VFR video

So you MUST convert to a Constant Frame Rate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference doesn't make any difference as noted above .. it's the nature of being VFR in codec format that's the issue.

So yea, as of this time at least, best to convert with Handbrake. Maybe some day this won't be an issue, certainly hope so!

Now ... one thing I've seen reported in another thread here: converting to CFR trying to use the numeric speed of 23.976 doesn't seem to get CFR, it's still VFR. But using the speeds of 24fps or 29.97fps does get CFR.

Useful to know.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for the tip! I'll try converting it and see what happens then. If it's still the same I suppose I'll post back in here to see if anyone has anything else to suggest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I've converted a couple of the files using Handbrake. MediaInfo now says it is a CFR (see below) but unfortunately it has made no difference whatsoever. The frame rates are still jumping around all over the place when playing in any media player and the "corruption" just the same.

One thing I didn't notice until now, I took some still photos with the same camera and they are corrupted too. Colour all over the place and lines through the image. I recorded another video tonight using the same camera on the same memory card and that is also corrupted immediately, the camera won't even play it back, so doesn't look like it's even a Premiere Pro problem. Unless Premiere somehow did something to the memory card. Sort of at a loss now. Anyone know anything about memory card corruption and if there is anything else I can try?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've got a bad memory card, and you've reformatted and it's STILL bad, well ... it's bad.

As is the media it corrupted, sadly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems. The odd thing is that when I initially put the memory card into the laptop, the footage was fine. Then randomly, the next second it was all nackered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On initial 'look' there seems to be some sort of thumbnail process even with some camera-produced video ... but the full-frame data can be screwed. I've seen this before, and as someone with 40 years in pro stills work, I've certainly seen it with stills. When uploading, before assuming I've got ANYTHING either stills or video, I want to see the raw files opened (stills) and video played.

In the last 14 years of running digital cameras with probably well more than a hundred memory cards of varying types, we've only had three go bad. Thankfully. Never a happy situation.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Anyone know anything about memory card corruption and if there is anything else I can try?" You could send it off to some data recovery service.  You might check with the memory card manufacturer to see if they have any recommendations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon putting the card into my laptop I began to import the footage into Premiere Pro.

You need to copy the card to hdd first then ingest by Media Browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill

Thanks for this. Apologies I thought I had mentioned earlier but when I viewed the files originally in MPC before even doing anything with Premiere that the footage did have a constant frame rate of 30fps. It only starting doing these crazy frame rates after the problem occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently returned from a 2 week holiday in Florida with a 32gb micro SD card full of holiday videos taken on a GoPro style camera

What camera shot the footage?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines