4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 11:36 PM by planetf1

LR C requires space on C:

planetf1

I just started trying to use CC for the first time, importing around 600MB of photos/videos. Whilst I had changed the storage location for downloaded images, I noticed that CC still needed space on C: (in my case 250 GB or so... and this is a 256GB hard drive!), so I  had to manually copy/relink the lightroom directories using 'mklink' (ie I created a ntfs junction). Surprising to see no way of configuring this in the sw...

• 1. Re: LR C requires space on C:
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi planetf,

Please refer the below link for a known issue related to Lightroom CC.

Known issues and workaround

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: LR C requires space on C:
            planetf1 Level 1

Thanks for the link, but

a) There's few apps that need a fair bit of temporary space that don't allow that to be specified. This is a significant product quality issue and gives a poor impression of the product

b) The workaround (at least the second part) isn't a workaround really. free up more space? In my case it would need almost the entire drive, which isa mere 256GB as it's an SSD from a couple of years back. In fact the workaround that DOES seem to work is to move the two lightroom cc directories, and then link back using NTFS junctions - with the 'mklink' command. Once done that's working a treat, but for those less knowledgeable there is no help offered.

This is a premium paid-for product. I do feel we need better. I will continue to offer feedback as I do hope that together the community can make the product better.

• 3. Re: LR C requires space on C:
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know if you watched any of the Adobe MAX presentation where Lightroom CC was introduced. This is a version 1 software. And the presenters more or less told people to download the software and more or less play with it and watch it grow and develop. I don't think you can classify it as "premium" software at this time. It's good for you to continue to offer suggestions. But give Lightroom CC time to mature, because I believe it will eventually.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: LR C requires space on C:
                planetf1 Level 1

It's 'premium' because I had to upgrade my sub even to play around with it. (c.£8 pcm to c. £15 pcm), otherwise a measly 20GB was on offer, not enough to even 'test' the software.

I haven't watched the presentations, and I realise it's early days, but this is a pretty basic thing... also the workaround text could be far more helpful. I was able to do my own workaround, and left lightroom cc processing my 600GB stash of photos but last i checked (I'm remote, so via vpn/remote desktop) it appears that after 5 days processing the lightroom CC looks hung. Photos have been copied into a staging area on my new disk, but there's little evidence any have been uploaded to CC, nor that the app is currently doing anything

Again, hangs from adobe software,

A little frustrating now. I'll try again, but if that fails I'm inclined to just abandon the whole thing and request a refund.