• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2018 very slow ("Not responding" in Activity Monitor), can you help please?

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We have recently updated to CC 2018 and has been a nightmare since!

It used 100% CPU, not responding and was incredibly slow. So, after various attempts, I uninstalled all the Adobe CC software from my iMac with Appcleaner ('cause I read Adobe uninstaller doesn't cancel everything) and reinstalled everything from scratch.

But, although is not using all the CPU now, it's still slow and not responding (see attachment below), eg. when I browse to open a file or do some normal tasks.

Do you have any suggestions, please?

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 15.03.55.png

System:

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

iMac 27 mid 2011

2.7 GHz i5

20 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many people slow performance for CC 2018 has turned out to be the result of not having “Import previous settings and preferences” unchecked in the Advanced Options that are offered during the install (see screen shot)?

INSTALL AI.png

If you had that checked during the install then you will have to manually make sure that all previous preference files for Illustrator are deleted making sure that Illustrator is closed when you do so. You can then open CC 2018, save a test file and then quit it so that a new CC 2018 only preference folder will be created. (This is all based on a test I did that showed that when an older preference file exists CC 2018 did not create a complete preference folder). At this point I would restart the computer and once rebooted launch Illustrator and hopefully your problem will be solved.

To manually delete preferences:

For Macintosh Users: With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Reset your preferences. That should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

thank you for your reply.
When I uninstalled Adobe CC, I deleted everything, preferences included, but I'll double-check anyway, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have deleted my preferences numerous times and that has not helped. I have collected my job and moved it to my desktop. Opened the file from my desktop and that has not helped. I have even reinstalled everything and that has not helped. When I deleted my preferences one time, it did speed up for about 1 day. But the next day, I was right back at the slowness. Please tell me there is some solution to this problem, as it is making ANY job I do in InDesign take twice as long as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you use Norton and applceaner. Those are safe to the best of my knowledge, wanted to warn you of similar ones that are not.

https://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/computer/worst-mac-virus-malware.htm

Do not see your creative cloud app in your activity monitor. The may be down lower, but you rOOBE may be corrupt

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-app-doesnt-open.html

RESET CLOUD OOBE

Quit Illustrator & Creative Cloud (go to cloud icon on top right, click on gear icon, quit)

Move your OOBE folder somewhere (eg: desktop)

Mac

Mac Finder >> Shift Command G

enter: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your VRam is well below minimum specifications for CC2018. The minimum is 1 GB, recommended 2. You only have 512 MB.

This means you are unable to take advantage of the GPU performance boost - thereby making your AI noticeably slower.

I have the same setup as you and have since switched over to my Macbook Pro when using Illustrator. Significant difference when you can pull the GPU assist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks kstohlmeyer1, I appreciate that, but it doesn’t seem a problem with the VRam. And also, with Illustrator cc 2017 I didn’t have these problems at all. Everything began with cc 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update you guys, I asked Adobe assistance and they used Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. They also suggested to get rid of all the Adobe preferences in the Libraries. Now things are better, but still Illustrator and inDesign are often not responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the advice from the ACP people is bogus. None of it works. Deleting preferences has never helped any problem when anyone suggested that in the 20 years I've been using this software.

There are bugs and you can do nothing about them except complain.

Wait until the software has been tested by all the other users before you upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bufftom, that is true mostly since Adobe has monopolised the sector. It seems they don't care to test the software properly before the launch because we don't really have an alternative, in the same way of Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. I've been trying to migrate to Affinity products if it gets any worse. When they come out with their layout package, I may be done with Adobe for good.

Without going into too much of a rant, each subsequent update to Adobe CC products seem to introduce a number of issues, and the general solution is to delete your preferences and settings. Bad solution, IMO. Some of use have spent a long time getting numerous preferences, settings, custom workspaces and the like, only to have to rebuild them. I've done it at least 3 times since joining a CC subscription service.

Eliminating Adobe Muse, and the $20/month increase for the CC service was the final straw for me to begin looking elsewhere to get my work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem.

I tried to delete preferences but the problem is still there...

I did also an other clean installation on a new iMac 27, but, after a short time, Illustrator becomes very slow in opening and saving files.

Please can help me?

Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi andreat51349294,

How exactly did you delete your prefs?  The first method below is quick, butonly get some of the prefs. The last 2 methods together is what I would recomend in your case.

Reset Your Preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

More Thorough Reset Your Preferences.

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings/

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Reset Your Other Preferences

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 22/

rename Adobe Illustrator 22 to Adobe Illustrator 22 old

If that does not work you can take the longer route of

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that worked for me was to uninstall it and install the older 2017 version. Restart... and I was back in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ONLY way to fix this is to stop using Illustrator CC 2018. It was so slow I couldn't get any work done. I tried everything suggested in this thread. Nothing worked. Switched back to 2017. The sluggishness is gone. I can actually work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never really update until i HAVE to - today I HAD to update from CC2015 and now I'm here reading this thread after having found Illustrator CC2018 completely unresponsive... So, with a print deadline looming I'm posting this reply whilst downloading CC2017... Thanks ADOBE...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had to 'downgrade' as well. What really gets me though is that we already paid for that version, yet are STILL paying for the newer, utterly laggy (& therefore useless) version. Something is very wrong with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. When saving a file or loading a file, Illustrator hangs or become very, very, slow.

Really very painful to work like this, i agree. Hope Adobe will solve this issue soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use CC on windows (not by choice) and updated to CC 2018 yesterday and everything ground to a halt. The programs froze and crashed repeatedly. I could not get any work done. I just re-installed CC 2017 apps and now I am back on track. Will not upgrade for some time, if ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can always back date to an earlier version. I currently run Premiere CS 6 and AE CC 14 (the older versions  have features that I still like) as well as all my CC 18 applications including Premiere CC 18 and AE CC 18. I did keep both CC 17 and CC 18 on my system for a couple of months last year when I first updated incase I needed to jump back. I have removed all CC 17 and have had no major issues.

What system review the Adobe specs prior to upgrading: helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

For Mac it is mac OS version 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS version 10.12 (Sierra), or Mac OS X version 10.11 (El Capitan). It is always an option to re-install the earlier versions if problems still exist but you will not have the newer features. I am curious if you are running High Sierra. I think Apple has problems on older hardware. Also check any third party plug-ins. Finally did you try the software on another user on the same system. If it works better it is your user library causing the issue. Try it on another system. If it works then it is your install on the current system.  It could be corrupted fonts... or to many fonts (if you have your fonts only installing on the user then you should not see font issues on a second created use. Try starting the Mac in Safe Mode to clear the Apple cache including the font cache. There are so many variables today and they are not all Adobe. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you reinstall a previous version? I just updated to CC2018 last week, am having the issues being mentioned on this thread, and would like to go back to CC2017.

I am also on Windows. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the drop down menu next to the install button and you'll find an option called other versions and there you can install old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information, however mine looks like this - and that's why I asked. I didn't know what the consequences would be if I were to "uninstall"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, open the CC app, and choose the version you want to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines