5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2009 6:47 PM by Newsgroup_User

Viewing .pdfs without downloading

Suzi Mechler
      I'm trying to insert a .pdf file into an html page without having to download the file. I'm creating the .pdf file in Photoshop to secure the image from being printed. Regardless of target location (even leaving it blank), every time I link to the .pdf from a thumbnail it automatically downloads the doc. I just want visitors to be able to view without downloading. Any thoughts?
        • 1. Re: Viewing .pdfs without downloading
          Level 7
          You can't control that because it depends on if they have the PDF plug-in
          for their browser or not. Besides, what makes you think that they won't be
          able to print it? If it shows up in my browser all I have to do is hit PRINT
          and I have it. Might as well keep it a JPEG.

Suzi Mechler wrote:
          > I'm trying to insert a .pdf file into an html page without having to
          > download the file. I'm creating the .pdf file in Photoshop to secure
          > the image from being printed. Regardless of target location (even
          > leaving it blank), every time I link to the .pdf from a thumbnail it
          > automatically downloads the doc. I just want visitors to be able to
          > view without downloading. Any thoughts?

• 2. Re: Viewing .pdfs without downloading
            JoeDaSilva Level 4
            That's not how the internet works. The moment you "view" something in a browser it's already been "downloaded" to your Internets cache and stored on the harddrive.

The only way you'd be able to make content like that difficult for an end user to easily save would be to render it in Flash. Even then they could extract the text via a Flash decompiler, though it would be a pain.

• 3. Viewing .pdfs without downloading
              Suzi Mechler Level 1
              Mad Dog and Joey D...thanks for the replies. Mad Dog, In Photoshop, I've been able to add security protection to .pdf docs so that when they are opened in Adobe Reader it does not allow the viewer to print. I can also add a password protection so that the doc can't be opened in Photoshop. I'm working on a website for a photographer and in addition to a watermark, this gives her the ability to put larger file images on her site without the ability to have them printed. It's an option we're discussing to protect her intellectual property.

Also, that's the issue...the .pdf isn't opening in my browser, just automtically downloading.
              • 4. Re: Viewing .pdfs without downloading
                Level 7
                If you embed it in a web page and I view the page, I'll print it. Maybe I
                won't be able to download it, but I'll print it.

Suzi Mechler wrote:
                > Mad Dog and Joey D...thanks for the replies. Mad Dog, In Photoshop,
                > I've been able to add security protection to .pdf docs so that when
                > they are opened in Adobe Reader it does not allow the viewer to
                > print. I can also add a password protection so that the doc can't be
                > opened in Photoshop. I'm working on a website for a photographer and
                > in addition to a watermark, this gives her the ability to put larger
                > file images on her site without the ability to have them printed.
                > It's an option we're discussing to protect her intellectual property.

• 5. Re: Viewing .pdfs without downloading
                  Level 7
                  On 06 Jan 2009 in macromedia.dreamweaver, Suzi Mechler wrote:

> Mad Dog and Joey D...thanks for the replies. Mad Dog, In Photoshop,
                  > I've been able to add security protection to .pdf docs so that when
                  > they are opened in Adobe Reader it does not allow the viewer to
                  > print. I can also add a password protection so that the doc can't
                  > be opened in Photoshop. I'm working on a website for a photographer
                  > and in addition to a watermark, this gives her the ability to put
                  > larger file images on her site without the ability to have them
                  > printed. It's an option we're discussing to protect her
                  > intellectual property.

It won't work. Even assuming that I don't have GhostScript, or maybe
                  some of Apple's PDF tools (which can break Acrobat's 'protection'), if
                  it's displayed on my screen I can hit PrintScreen and print that off.

Plus having PDFs open so I can view an image is annoying. And
                  protecting from Photoshop will only work for oh, maybe a third of all
                  computer users. (What's market penetration on Photoshop, anyway?)

You have but two options:
                  - Make the posted image small enough and of low enough quality that it
                  won't print well at any reasonable size
                  - Watermark the posted image

--
                  Joe Makowiec
                  http://makowiec.net/
                  Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php