3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 9:12 AM by htmgarcia

Different color result, same HEX value

htmgarcia

I'm using the same HEX value in one project:

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 3.15.47 PM.png

When I use that same color in another file, this is how the color becomes. Is opaque.

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 3.15.41 PM.png

Both files are in RGB mode. 8 bits/channel.

If somebody experienced this odd behavior and have an idea what could it be, please let me know.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Different color result, same HEX value
          davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

The hex value is just a way of expressing RGB (or CMYK) values in base 16 i.e. 00 to FF instead of 0-255.

However an RGB (or CMYK) value without an associated color space (which tells a color managed application what real world color that value represents) is meaningless.

So the same Hex RGB(or CMYK) value can represent two different colors in two different color spaces.

Similarly, the same real world color can be represented by two different Hex RGB (or CMYK) numbers in two different color spaces.

Common document color spaces are sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto and similarly a number of differing CMYK spaces.

The most likely explaination for the symptoms you see are that the documents have differing color spaces (described by their color profiles) Go to the bottom of the Photoshop window and choose Document Profile to see the space each document is using.

Dave

• 2. Re: Different color result, same HEX value
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Numerical values mean nothing until they refer to a specific color space (sRGB, Adobe RGB etc). The color space is what defines the numbers as a certain color.

A given set of RGB numbers will produce different colors in different color spaces.

Hex is just a different (and outdated) notation for RGB numbers. They are the same thing. But traditionally, hex refers to sRGB.

EDIT: Dave beat me. Trust me, he's dead right...

• 3. Re: Different color result, same HEX value
              htmgarcia Level 1

Thanks Dave and D Fosse! I appreciate it.