Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting CMYK files to RGB in Indesign

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

So I have two files and one of the files was originally set up as a print file (in CMYK) which I recently changed to an RGB file (changed in Document Settings and changed the Transparency Blend Space to RBG, re-imported all the vector graphics to RGB files) but when I export to PDF (Interactive) the colours still dull into CMYK colours. Exporting to JPEGs work though, it only happens when I export to PDF.

I have also tried to copy and paste the elements from the file into another file which was exporting my colours correctly but it still exports dull (so the other pages are okay but the page from the other file is still dull). I've checked and there's no transparency or drop shadows nor am I using PNGs in the page (it's only text and vector files which are exporting fine in my other files). I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once they've ben converted to CMYK you've lost the range of colours, go back and use the original RGB images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image files haven’t been converted to RGB and I’ve gone and re-placed (cmd+d) all of the vector files and it’s still exporting dull (even as the same vectors are exporting fine on different pages in the same file)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen capture showing the color difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 8.38.30 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 8.38.53 am.png

The colour difference. They're the same image files in the same PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're the same image files in the same PDF.

Are they image files or vectors? Can you package and share the problem InDesign file via dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're all vectors sample file here: Dropbox - sample file Folder.zip 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing the problem when I view in AcrobatPro or Reader, so maybe the problem is with your PDF viewer?

Also, I can tell the PDF in your packaged folder was not exported as an interactive PDF because Acrobat's Object Inspector shows both DeviceRGB and DeviceCMYK objects. The Interactive export forces all color into profiled ICCBased sRGB and DeviceRGB or CMYK colors are not allowed.

This is what I get with an interactive export:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/samplefileInteractive.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I also inspected Karmen's document and cannot see a problem.
Hm. Her version of InDesign is 12.0.0.81.

Cannot recall, if we had some issues with that particular version and color management.
Maybe it would help to update to 12.1.0.56 which is the most recent version of CC 2017?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My CC seems to think I don't have updates? Should I get it off the website or something?? Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 2.01.18 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karmen,

maybe it would help to log out of CC Desktop App, restart the machine, log in again so that CC Desktop App has the chance to inspect what versions are installed.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us a screen capture of your PDF Export dialog? The 2nd PDF you linked to is all DeviceRGB.

AcrobatPro and Reader can simulate the expected CMYK output of RGB objects depending on your preferences. Under Prefs>Page Display>Page Content and Information there is Use Overprint Preview. If that is set to Always your page will display RGB color as a CMYK simulation.

Also, in AcrobatPro if you have the Output Preview panel open with a CMYK profile set in the Simulation drop down the preview will be a CMYK conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the preferences in Acrobat and it isn't converting the colours anymore - still don't get why it was only converting it on the one page and not the others though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

karmenb26863557  wrote

I changed the preferences in Acrobat and it isn't converting the colours anymore - still don't get why it was only converting it on the one page and not the others though...

Hi Karmen,

you have to understand that the colors of your PDF document did not change, only the view of the colors on the pages. So if you have a customer who set the preferences of Adobe Reader differently to yours the view could be different. You—as the producer of the PDF—will have no control on this.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.44.14 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.44.25 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.44.31 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-22 at 11.44.39 am.png

screenshots (thanks for your help rob)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you use the 'Interactive PDF' export for a specific reason? But the 'Print PDF' export has a lot more controls over color conversion and use of profiles.

Then you could start by playing around with these settings:

..or follow a tutorial about it to know what exactly happens by changing these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In almost all cases exporting to Interactive PDF converts all color into ICC sRGB profiled RGB. The only way i can get your DeviceRGB (no color profile assigned) is to turn off color management in Color Settings—Emulate Adobe InDesign 2.0 CMS Off.

Have you turned off color management?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Acrobat to view the pdf - is it a problem with acrobat? I've re-exported the file as interactive here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/zct4bgiwoia8k4n/sample%20file%20.pdf?dl=0 ) and it's still doing it when I view it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping images in RGB is a best practice. Read more here:

https://indesignsecrets.com/import-rgb-images-indesign-convert-cmyk-export.php

and watch David Blatner's series on www.lynda.com

InDesign: Color Management

If you are new to lynda.com, you can get a free trial. Otherwise, subscribe for a month.

Converting from cmyk to rgb does not bring back lost colors. Sorry about that.

IMG_4549.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What export settings are you using in 'Export pdf > Output > Color conversion'?  One of the files might have another color profile attached to it, which might result in different appearance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines