• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator layer getting cut off when rotated in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just posted this in the Illustrator forum as well.  Not sure if double posting is frowned upon--but this is potentially a double app issue...

This started happening to me a couple of weeks ago, when working with an Illustrator file provided by a client inside of After Effects: some assets/layers from the AI file, when rotated in AE, get "cut off" at certain points along the rotation.  So I've got a layer, static.  I rotate it.  At some point in the rotation part--not all--of the layer "vanishes", like it's been matted/masked, then comes back.  I thought this was maybe an anomaly/glitch associated with the AI file that came from the client--but it's just happened again with another file, from a different client; and it's happening on two different computers.

A workaround I discovered was to make the "offending" layer 3D.  The vanishing stopped.  But why?  Why is this happening????  Never had it before, now suddenly happening in two separate instances...

Sample images attached of most recent occurrence, showing what happens to the layer going from a rotation of -4 to -5.  The dragon is the layer that's being rotated--and part of its head is being cut off at -5 rotation, but then comes back at -6.  As far as I can tell, the -5 is completely arbitrary: it's happening at different rotation values with different layers.

Really strange and really frustrating!

ROTATION-4.jpgROTATION-5.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

you should isolate the problem. remove other layers and effects and see again. this might help. another thing to check and what I am most suspicious about is the illustrator fine - see that it has only one artboard and that it's reasonably sized (here's a similar anomaly with a very big artboard) . Ai artboard can cause all kinds of anomalies in Ae projects. you could also create and HD preset and copy paste your layers there and import - see if you get the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're tilting the dragon layer (adjusting the X Orientation or the X Rotation) such that the top portion of the dragon is going behind the gray layer behind it.

Hide the gray layer behind it (you'd probably want to set the Comp Background Color to match the gray color as a replacement) or adjust the gray layer's Z Position to a higher value to send it further back into Z space.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cropped screenshots leave us guessing. Show us the entire user interface with a modified properties of the layers giving you problems revealed. Just press the u

key twice and print screen then paste to the forum.

There has to be something you have set up incorrectly in the composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello both--thanks for your quick responses.

To answer your point, Warren: there is no X Rotation, as it's a 2D layer.  Enabling the 3D switch removes the problem.  Also, the dark background is not a layer--just the comp background colour.

Rick: new, full, screenshots attached.  One of my original setup, one with 3D switch enabled and a third with Continuously Rasterise unchecked; which, I've just discovered, also removes the problem.  So that leads me to think it's a Continuously Rasterise issue / limitation..?

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 09.06.41.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 09.06.46.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-18 at 09.06.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should isolate the problem. remove other layers and effects and see again. this might help. another thing to check and what I am most suspicious about is the illustrator fine - see that it has only one artboard and that it's reasonably sized (here's a similar anomaly with a very big artboard) . Ai artboard can cause all kinds of anomalies in Ae projects. you could also create and HD preset and copy paste your layers there and import - see if you get the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like a very similar anomaly; thanks for the link.  Doesn't quite solve my problem though!  But it does give me a direction, I suppose.

The AI artboard is actually quite big: 2764px x 7207px; so maybe that's the problem..?  Is that a known bug, in some instances, though--or just an anomaly..?  I guess I'll break the AI file / artboard into smaller pieces and save them separately.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reduced the AI file into smaller sections, replaced the offending layer in AE with the newly saved version (same sized layer, from a smaller AI file / artboard...  Problem went away.

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks for updating the thread. Ai->Ae has all sort of weird quirks. Working with HD preset can help (the preset has a bug too!). Just got to be vigilant I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also solved this by redrawing a new artboard in illustrator - seemed to fix it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this worked for me, thanks so much for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most pros who have an AI-to-AE or even an AE-to-AI workflow have been using the Overlord Extension.

https://www.battleaxe.co/overlord

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines