• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New endnotes feature: Can you automatically apply cross references?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thrilled that InDesign (finally!) introduced an endnotes feature. I can navigate between endnote references and endnote text easily within InDesign. But when I export to an interactive PDF, this functionality disappears.

Is there a way to export the endnote functionality into an interactive PDF, just like you can export cross-reference functionality to an interactive PDF?

In the past, I manually created cross-references between endnote references and endnote text, then exported the document as an interactive PDF. That way, I could click a reference in the PDF, and the document would jump to the corresponding reference text. I'd love to know if there's a similar solution now that we have endnote functionality.

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It the first release of endnotes, and there's more we want, including the linking you mentioned which is not automatic. You can ask for it to be included in a future release here: Wishform - Adobe InDesign.

In the meantime, you can still manually add x-refs from the references to the notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes the linking is there with Endnotes as well.

Export your Pdf as jnteractive pdf with Hyperlinks turned on.

Please let me know if it works then.

BarbBinder​ We are more actively monitoring Adobe InDesign Feedback for bugs reported by users

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aman:

On my second go the links did work automatically via the Adobe PDF (Print) with hyperlinks turned on. Yesterday, I tested before answering, but went with Adobe PDF (Interactive) and they did not work. What did I miss in the Adobe PDF (Interactive) export?

~Barb

Screenshot 2017-11-18 06.16.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Barb,

I see all the same.

And unfortunately even if linking from reference to endnote text is working, backlinking to the reference is not.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines