2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2017 8:56 PM by Chuck Uebele

A question about layers, please?

timk33859097

I am new at using Photoshop.  I am trying to move a object from one photo to another photo onto its own layer.  I get the moving part, but can't figure out putting it on it's own layer. HELP please.

I thank you for any all help anyone can point me in the right direction.

Have a good day.

Tim Kuelker

• 1. Re: A question about layers, please?
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If it is by it self (background is transparent [displayed with a checker board]) You can use ctrl-j or cmd-j to copy the contents to a new layer.

Shortcut tip - In the layers menu you can hold down the alt key on windows or the cmd key on mac and drag layer to a blank area of the layers panel.
          Tip #2 - You can just drag the layer to the new layers icon at the bottom of the layers panel to create a copy of the layer.

If it is part of an image you will need to select it first with one of the selection tools found in the tool bar. Then use ctrl-j on windows or cmd-j on mac to copy the selection to a new layer.

• 2. Re: A question about layers, please?
            Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you move one an object - a layer or a selection of a layer - to another open file, it should always create it's own layer. Are you saying it merges with another layer?