• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set "Add" as the default Lightroom CC Import Option

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - just wondering if anyone could help me out with an ongoing problem.

Up until a few updates ago, the default option for the LR Import dialogue was "Add".  This seems to have recently changed to "Move".  I know I can select "Add", but what I'm finding is that when I am on deadline, under pressure & quickly updating my catalogue to show all of my new image folders I'm forgetting to change the selection from "Move" back to "Add".  Therefore, once I've realised this mistake I have to go & copy all of the files back to the original folder.

I've searched the Forum for answers, as well as dug through the settings tabs in detail, but can't for the life of me find anywhere where I can set "Add" as the default.

Can anyone help me to find this setting?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

No, you cannot change the defaults of the Import dialog page because the default behavior is neither Move nor Add but rather that the setting is "sticky".

I.e., after you have used either Move or Add to do an actual import - used it to import at least one image, not just set the option and then closed the dialog with the Cancel button - on all subsequent openings it will open with that option, until you use another option.

The sticky behavior is hard wired into the Import dialog's code and cannot

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the original files store, on an internal or external drive.

So you are copying the files from a memory card to a folder on one of the drives connected to your system using the File Manager for the OS you are using. Do you remove the memory card before you start the import process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. The files are generally stored on an external drive which I shoot to on my laptop & then update the catalogue on my desktop when I get back to the office to work on them.

When I’m shooting to a card its not a problem as I actually do want to move the files rather than just update the catalogue.

craig wall:

photographer

(Edited by Moderator to remove personal Info)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you cannot change the defaults of the Import dialog page because the default behavior is neither Move nor Add but rather that the setting is "sticky".

I.e., after you have used either Move or Add to do an actual import - used it to import at least one image, not just set the option and then closed the dialog with the Cancel button - on all subsequent openings it will open with that option, until you use another option.

The sticky behavior is hard wired into the Import dialog's code and cannot be changed by users like us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Elie - I should have mentioned in my original post that for some reason the default on mine does not seem to be “sticky” - it always bounces back to “Move”. I’ve tried in the past to check this by setting it to “Add” then closing & restarting LR. Unfortunately it would always bounce back to “Move”.

Having said that - I opened up LR this morning & the default was sitting on “Add” which is where I left it yesterday. I’ll give it a few more tries & see if I can get it to stay on “Add”.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option are stick, Some Times. It all depends on from where, the Source, you are selecting.

From an SD card in a reader it defaults to Copy.

From an internal drive it defaults to Add, but can go to Move.

From an external drive it could be Copy, Move or Add.

This is just something you have to check each time you do an import. Kind of like when you leave your house.

Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet and Keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question is....  why?  Is it too hard to allow for the user to set whatever import dialogue they use most as the default?  I'm still constantly having to drag files out of my "Pictures" folder as this is the default for the import dialogue.  Yes, I should be checking the dialogue before I hit "Import", but for Christs sake Adobe, help a brother out! 

Even making it "Sticky" would be better than nothing.  Then at least it would sit on whatever the most recent option was.  I just crashed my system importing a catalogue from a 1 Tb hard drive.  I eventually worked out the whole drive was being copied to my Pictures folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make a import Preset that you select from a drop down list that will do what you want.

You have to actually IMPORT something once you change the settings for it to be the same the next time you use the Import dialog.

BUT it only sticks if you are importing from the same location.

If you have a SD card inserted into a card reader or possibly a camera connected directly to the computer it will default to Copy (Actually that is the only option available).

If from an internal drive is will stick to Add if the last import was from an internal drive. But, again, can switch to Move or Copy.

If from an External drive, and depending on what type of external drive, it could default to Copy, Move or Add.

Creating a preset is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  Do I create the preset in the import dialogue somewhere?  I can't see anywhere here I can create a preset other than in the Develop Module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes at/near the bottom. Where it says Import Preset:. Set all the settings to the way you want them and click the None double triangle and select "Save Current Setting as New Preset". Type in a name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Will it bounce to that preset when I have the drive attached that I created the preset for?  I'll give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. I have gotten into the habit of CHECKING the Top options, Move Copy and so on, every time I open the import dialog.

Mine for some reason wants to default to Move when there is No SD card inserted into a reader.

I personally have not setup a preset for that. But I have other presets for copying images from memory cards to folder names of my liking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it does!  I usually check, but sometimes I'm under pressure & forget.  The default was "Add" until recently & so when on auto-pilot I just click through.  It's a pain in the @#% when I do forget & then accidentally move many Gb's worth of images out of their file structure & into my Pictures folder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've found that if I import from a SD card the next time I open the import dialog with No SD card connected to my system it defaults to "Move".

If I have imported images from one of my internal HDD using the Add option the next time I open the import window "With No SD card" connected to the system it stays with Add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines