Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capturing from Sony HDV camera

Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 9.30.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 9.30.01 PM.png

I was so excited...my first attempt at CAPTURING a TAPE using PremiereCC!

But, Premiere disappointed. I'm using a Sony HVR-Z1U, attempting to capture a 1080i60 HDV tape.

I set up the project, selecting HDV as my capture type. I got the Capture window open, and have machine control.  But that's where it gets, uh, funky.

I can control the camcorder...but the capture window is black. I get an unspecified video error when I attempt to capture in HDV.

When I change the capture mode to "DV", lo and behold, I can see video in the window. A short test capture confirmed my suspicions...that yes, indeed, Premiere wanted to capture my 1080i60 video as DV25.

I know the tape is 1080i60...and so does my FCP 6/OS 10.4 system (the "analogue suite" in the basement), where it's happily capturing an HDV file...while my Premiere system sits, like a dead Ferrari, looking oh-so-pretty...and pretty useless for the task at hand.

Anyone want to take a gander at what gives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

And the correct answer...for me at least...was item #17 in the help article: "Try capturing in a different program."

Final Cut 6 wins this round.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony  cameras have an internal menu setting that controls how the video is presented on the FireWire (iLink) port on the camera. Make sure the camera is not down converting the HDV to DV.

I don’t remember the exact placement of the setting in the menu structure, but you’ll need to find it and verify you are indeed outputting HDV from the camera.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu setting is HDV - DV Convert. You want to turn it off.

Make sure you have the camera disconnected from the computer when you do this settings change, then after the setting change, re-connect your camera.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll check it out...though I for the life of me don't understand why FCP6 wouldn't act the same way, if the menu setting was set to down convert. But I'll check...again, thank you, and stay tuned for the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...so "ilLink Conversion HDV-->DV was on...and the files I captured in FCP were DV files.

However, were that the end of it. I've shut the iLink conversion off, which I assume means the video coming out of the FireWire spigot is now HDV.

Hooked it back up to my Premiere system...once again, in Capture mode I  have deck control...but no picture or sound. And to confirm, Capture type is set to HDV.

Back downstairs to FCP6 to continue the investigation...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And the correct answer...for me at least...was item #17 in the help article: "Try capturing in a different program."

Final Cut 6 wins this round.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines