Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintaining a consistent speed with 'Typewriter' FX

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question:

Is there a way to set the default speed of the 'Typewriter' FX so that no matter what length of the paragraph of text it always 'types' at the same average speed (as if a real human being were actually typing)?  What I want to do is to be able to add the Typewriter FX to many pages of text in AfterEffects and always have it run at the same speed.

I know we can slow down or speed up the FX by using keyframes, but is there a way to get the FX itself set to a custom speed (slower than the default) so that whatever text I apply it to (and however long or short) it always 'types' at the same average speed? Then all I need do is:

1. Paste in the text (however long or short)

2. Apply the adjusted FX preset (and it will type at the same average speed regardless)

3. Leave the same amount of frames after the 'typing' has finished until the cut to the next 'page'

At the moment when I place the Typewriter FX onto my text it just comes out way too fast to be believable. Can I adjust this at the FX level and perhaps save that as a user preset for re-use on successive pages of text?

I hope I've explained the problem - I've read a few FAQs on this but I haven't seen anyone specifically ask if there's a way to edit the FX itself at the base level so that it becomes a new preset (and a huge time-saver!).

Any help or advice gratefully received!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

you don't have to use expressions BTW. you can simply set a first keyframe of 0 on the "start" parameter. set another far away in time at a high value (see that you like the speed) and then simply move the layer in time or the keyframes to make it start at another point in time.

if you do want to expression to take into account the start in time of the layer (where it starts in time) then change it to:

(time-inPoint)*5

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'd seen that reply earlier, but I don't think it answers my central question: I want to set the Typewriter FX to 'type' at a slower speed by default. This means whenever I use it it will always type at that speed.

Perhaps the use of 'Index' in the reply above does that, but I don't see it when I try using it. Type still comes flying out at the default speed of the FX.

I just want one, universal, realistic typing speed from the FX whenever I use it, but slower (at least by half) than the default speed than it is currently set to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to set the Typewriter FX to 'type' at a slower speed by default. This means whenever I use it it will always type at that speed.

change the units to index - now it will type at constant speed that is depended upon characters and not percentage. this means that if you set the "start" parameter second keyframe at a large number and move it away, and set the "end" parameter a large number of characters so it won't reach the end - your speed will remain the same for any sentence.

you can use an expression to save the need for keyframes:

time*5 (5 means it will advance 5 characters each second)

set the end parameter to big large enough (say a 1000 or even 5000)

save it as a preset and there you go - you got a preset that gives you constant speed no matter what you type.

BTW, I am not sure this mimics the way a user types. variable speed typing is usually the case if you wan't to be realistic about it since we are not machines that type at the exact same pace all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another question. Using the settings you have provided (which do work and it's all going well, so thanks)...

So my scene comes up and there a picture in the background. Now, as things stand the Typewriter FX immediately starts doing it's thing - but how do I get it to hold off for, say, two or three seconds, before beginning to type away? I have looked everywhere, tried every obvious thing, but nothing works.

Is there a way to delay the start of the Typewriter FX until I want it to start? Is it some button/switch/setting/expression...I'm at my wit's end.

Sorry for being such a hopeless n00b! Any help again gratefully received!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't have to use expressions BTW. you can simply set a first keyframe of 0 on the "start" parameter. set another far away in time at a high value (see that you like the speed) and then simply move the layer in time or the keyframes to make it start at another point in time.

if you do want to expression to take into account the start in time of the layer (where it starts in time) then change it to:

(time-inPoint)*5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Using the new expression did the trick. Really helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines