Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro opens file:///// Links in Webbrowser

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Community

We have installed Adobe Acrobat Pro DC installed and the following problem occurs:

When clicking a File link (example: file://///FILESERVER/FOLDER...), Google Chrome opens and it fails to open a file. If the link leads to a folder, it also opens in Chrome.

When I try to open a File Link from word for example, it opens windows explorer or the specified program for the file.

I really need Acrobat Pro to open file links with explorer. How can I change this behaviour?

We already tried to create PDFs with different PDF converters and also with office PDF creator, but it didn't help...

Greetings

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat passes URLs to the default URL app - the browser. You can link to files with an open file action. You cannot link to directories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it was possible in Acrobat 9 and 10... Why isn't it possible anymore?

How do I add an open file action to the links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say why Adobe changed it. Maybe a security fix. In Acrobat you can choose the action type when you create a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Ok. The problem is that we create PDFs from Word documents where the links are already in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having a similar problem - we have a Visio with links to files on our intranet.  Not everyone here has Visio, so we are exporting it to .pdf, but when we do so, the links open a browser and try to go to the file from there, instead of opening the file.  It works in Visio,  and when I hover over the link in the .pdf, I see that it is correctly pointing to a file and not a webpage, but when I send the .pdf to someone and ask them to try, it goes to a browser.  Upon closer inspection, if I right click and Edit Link, the Actions tab on the Link Properties shows "Execute a menu item" but the Action points to "Open a web link" instead of a file.  Changing to Open a File and adding a "Open a file link" does not resolve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to look for a solution in Visio and how it creates links.

The only other option is to use a tool to convert those links to "Open a file" link with the correct kind of file-path.

If it starts with "file://" then it will get directed to the browser, because it's a URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear User365,

I know this is an old thread, but I came across this thread while encountering this exact same issue.

We were seeing inside of our environment as well. We involved Microsoft on this issue and the solution turned out to be to change your Default Web browser from Microsoft Edge in our case, to Google Chrome for example and back to Microsoft Edge. After these steps the hyperlinks openend in the file explorer again instead of in the browser. It is possible that after an Adobe Update you will have to perform these steps again of changing the default browser back and forth.

I hope someone out there is helped by this information 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Beb5FA2  Thanks for updating this old thread with this fix!  I was having the same issue and your fix worked!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That resolves the issue. But user have to perform this activity daily like changing browser. Any help ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines