• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a catalog size limit in PSE 2018?

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

is in the new PSE 2018 a catalog size limit.

how many photos can I import? Can i import all in one catalog?
with what size I can work fast?

Thanks for the answer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry This question is not Assumed Answered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dieterl46647645  wrote

Hallo,

is in the new PSE 2018 a catalog size limit.

No.

how many photos can I import? Can i import all in one catalog?

The only crucial factor is if you are using facial recognition. If you are not using it like me, no limit. You can import all your media file in a catalog.

Many users are working happily with much more than 100 000 items (I try to keep my main catalog under 75 000)

with what size I can work fast?

The speed of use is not proportional to the number of items. I can create a complex 'saved search' based on several criteria, including text substrings in captions or notes and get the results in a few seconds. What takes time is to write data to files (moving, backup etc.)

The one feature which has always been slow is when you delete a big number of files (from catalog and/or from disk) at the same time.

sorry This question is not Assumed Answered

That's a common bug in those Adobe forum hosted by Jive. Only you or moderators can set the answer as 'correct'. Other users may tag an answer as 'helpful'. Ignore 'assume answered'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the limit with facial recognition.  I just split my photos up into multiple catalogs.  My main family catalog curretnly has 54,074 photos.  I do have facial recognition turned on.  I also find Elements (2023) to be slow and freezes a lot.  If it hasn't actually frozen when I force the program closed then it's taking way to long anyway. 

I guess I could turn facial recognition on and off as requred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TACrites, Adobe has never published a maximum size for a catalog. My current main catalog has over 225k media files all of which have passed through facial recognition.   I have several People stacks exceeding 15k files.  The largest stack has nearly 25k faces. 

Turning FR on and off may help you if the Media Analysis is creating slowdowns. My guess is that Auto Creations is the biggest resource hog. I haven't tested that in a while. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

225k, impressive!  I had 132k and though it might have been the problem with Organizer being slow and freezing up (requiring me to abort the program).  I'm running Windoze 10, i7-6700, 32GB RAM so it's not like my computer is a POS.  I ended up spliting my photos into 3 catalogs and things don't seem all that much better.

I wish there was a better indicator that Organizer is doing something other than that little spinny circle in the  bottom left of the screen.  Sometimes it is there spinning (forever) and other times there is no idication anything is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just means I'm a hoarder.  🙂  But in hindsight I'm happy I don't delete photos.  Improvements in editing software have allowed me to make many junk photos usable.

Your computer should certainly be able to handle your catalog.  You may want to keep an eye on the active processes in Task Manager to give you more of a clue about what may going on in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find the more pictures I take the more I have to edit and sort.  I used to take multiple shots of everthing but now I typically just take one and I don't hesitate to delete marginal photos.

I usually have Task Manager running.  Organizer is running right now and is sucking up 16.3% of my CPU which is pretty standard.  Turned off allo Media-Analysis, shut it down, restarted, and now it's about 0.3%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines