1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2008 1:24 AM by RoboColum(n)

Restoring Broken Links doesn't work

RexID
      I have a project, unfortunately stored on a network drive, that recently crashed. I also have a copy of the project stored on my computer. The project on my computer has a number of topics listed in the Broken Links folder. Either I'm not understanding the process by which the topics are reconnected into the project, or something is not working.

The references don't make sense, nor can I click & drag the BL topic back into the TOC, which would seem to be what would make sense.

Any help would be appreciated. If I could click on a BL topic, and see it, then I could create a new topic, but that doesn't seem to be possible. Thanks in advance.

VIc
        • 1. Re: Restoring Broken Links doesn't work
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi Vic.

First of all, you probably would not have hit this problem if you had worked on your project on a local drive and backed up to the network drive. RH uses an Access DB that is prone to problems when run on a network drive so the advice of most RH users is never do it.

The broken topics list just lists instances where the RH project has lost track of where a topic is. For example a TOC page says it is in a location but the project can't find it. This can be caused by a number of factors (e.g. a file being moved, renamed or deleted outside of RH).

If you have the topic linked to the broken TOC link still visible in the project, try right clicking on TOC page and selecting "Properties". This will show you where it is trying to link to. You can also point it to the correct location if it is wrong.