1 2 Previous Next 60 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2018 5:33 AM by RobCK08

Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type

graham.geary Level 1

I installed CC 2018 yesterday. When I try to set Photoshop as default program to open JPG, PNG, etc., the program is not listed under Recommended Programs. When I choose Other Programs > Browse and navigate to PS 2018, select and hit open, nothing happens -- it's not added to the list of other programs.

If I go to Control Panel > Set Default Programs, NONE of the Adobe CC 2018 programs are available to select as default programs.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
          Ronald Keller Level 4

What happens if you go to Control Panel > Default Prgrams > Associate a file type or protocol with a program and choose say PSD?

• 2. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
            graham.geary Level 1

Thanks for the reply! PSD is the only file type that Photoshop 2018 will associate with: it does list it as the current default for PSD files. If I go up, however, say to PNG, choose Change Program, Photoshop ISN'T recommended. Under Browse, if I navigate to Photoshop 2018, select the EXE file, and choose Open, nothing happens: it's not added to Other Programs and can't be chosen.

• 3. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
              Ronald Keller Level 4

I see what you mean. I tried to add Photoshop CC 2017 to a png file type (it's already assigned to 2018) and indeed CC 2017 is not added either.

Have you tried right-clicking in Explorer and do it that way?

• 4. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                VWM1900 Level 1

I am having the exact same problem. The program is there in other formats, but I cannot select it from any menu's and when I do, nothing happens. This blows, because right now it's set to Dreamweaver opening up my PSD files.

• 5. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                  graham.geary Level 1

This issue might have resolved itself: after dragging the problem file types into Photoshop to open them, eventually Windows learned to associate Photoshop 2018. For example after dragging JPGs into Photoshop a few times, all of a sudden Photoshop appeared as a possible default program for JPGs. I guess this issue is resolved for me, sort of? Do you get the same results if you drag files in a few times?

• 6. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                    S_Gans Adobe Community Professional

graham.geary,I was JUST going to suggest that! I can confirm that the method above is what eventually worked on my Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 system.

For Mac users, I can tell you that this was not an issue on my MacOS 10.12.6 Sierra (do not have High Sierra). On that OS, it worked as expected.

• 7. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                      ClaireAnna Level 1

Is this happening with anyone after the 2019 Photoshop CC update? I can't set my .psd's to open with Photoshop 2019 since the update. I've tried everything....:(

It won't register for some reason, when right clicking and when choosing in default app list...psdIconWontSaveOpenWithProgram.PNG.

• 8. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                        D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is an ancient problem. You see the default is set to Photoshop Image 19? That's the previous version now uninstalled.

The default setting for the CC app is to remove old versions after the new one is installed. This sometimes hijacks the registry so that the old version takes file associations with it, leaving them orphaned.

You couldn't know this, but Photoshop should always be installed in strict version order, and uninstalled in strict reverse version order. Last in, first out.

Try to uninstall and reinstall. If that doesn't work, run the CC cleaner tool and then reinstall.

The forum is always flooded with this when a new version comes out. It's rather disappointing that nothing has been done about this after all these years. It should be easy to instruct the CC app to uninstall first, then install the new.

4 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                          ClaireAnna Level 1

Shucks, okay. Thank you for answering my question exactly! This makes total sense, although aggravating. So there is no way to correct this issue besides the cleaner tool? I already uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted...:(

Would you mind tell me exactly which one to use? As my boss will most likely ask me if it's legit, lol. Thank you!!

• 10. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                            ClaireAnna Level 1

Adobe Support? Anybody know how to fix my .psd's being a file type of Photoshop.Image.19 after CC update yesterday?? I really don't want to use the CC cleaner and lose all my settings!

Can anybody help? Thank you!

Files automatically save as Adobe Photoshop Image.19

Please see below for the exact step I'm on, I click ok and NOTHING happens. I've uninstalled/reinstalled 4 times Photoshop.Image.19(Won'tRegisterToOpenWithPhotoshopCC2019).jpg

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                              chetd12857457 Level 1

Same issue.  Can't associate jpg, png, etc. with Photoshop as the default program for opening these file types.  I have gone through all the steps above including uninstalling everything, using CC cleaner and then installing again with no luck so far.

PSD files worked right from first installation of Photoshop 2019, but I am unable to manually assign file types to Photoshop as their default program.

• 12. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                isidorekol Level 1

hey guys! i have the same problem! No one from Adobe is here to give a solution....any association solution has failed so far!

• 13. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                  isidorekol Level 1

this is just ridiculous! thanks for your answer though!

• 14. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                    Jeff Macholz Level 1

This is a problem that I had when upgrading to Photoshop 18. You have to edit the registry to correct this.

NOTE: If you don't know what you are doing you can fry your OS.

Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\open\command, right click on (Default)( in the right side window) and select Modify. Change Photoshop CC 2018 to Photoshop CC 2019.  Exit the Registry Editor. You will now be able to open jpegs from Explorer.

2 people found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                      chetd12857457 Level 1

Thanks for the post, however, my registry entry is already correct.  Still can't associate jpg, png, etc with Photoshop 2019 being the default program.  I am able to open said files in Photoshop 2019 by right clicking and choosing "open with" and selecting Photoshop 2019, but it will not set as the default program for which to open them.

Thanks for the effort though!  Hopefully it helps at least some of the folks having a similar issue.

• 16. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                        ClaireAnna Level 1

Hey All!

SOLUTION HERE, yayyyy Worked for me!

Hi everyone,

In the registry, find the address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psd and change the default value to Photoshop.Image.20 (mine was Photoshop.Image.19)

14 people found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                          chetd12857457 Level 1

Some additional info...

Fresh install of Windows 10 and a fresh install of Photoshop 2019 on a new hard drive.  I'm still running into the inability to associate jpg or png files with Photoshop being the default application.  I CAN open png files and jpg files in Photoshop, but I need to choose "open with" to do so.  I would like to open these (and a few other file types) by simply clicking on the file itself.

If I right click on an image file and select "properties" and then "Change" the "Opens with:" portion it will not take effect if I select "Photoshop CC 2019".  It simply stays at the default "Photos".  I AM able to select  any other program (such as "Paint", etc.) and the change WILL take effect.  Only Photoshop will not register here.

If I go to Windows "Settings" and select "Apps" and then "Default apps" Photoshop does not even show up in the list of programs available when trying to change either the Photo Viewer app default or when selecting "Choose default apps by file type".  Photoshop DOES show up in several other file types and did indeed set up properly on its own to use .psd files as well as several others.

update-- tif files and other image file types are able to be associated with Photoshop as the default program via regular methods through windows, but .jpg and .png are still not able to be associated with Photoshop. 

• 18. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                            sharkfoot Level 1

"In the registry, find the address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psd and change the default value to Photoshop.Image.20" - This worked for me too!

4 people found this helpful
                                            • 19. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                              isidorekol Level 1

"In the registry, find the address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psd and change the default value to Photoshop.Image.20" - This worked for me too!

thats the solution indeed! now if we could find something to associate eps with illustrator that would be great too!

• 20. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                Maestros Level 1

I can confirm as well that the registry hack worked, but seriously, we shouldn't have to modify our registry to get CC 2019 to open our files by default. 

• 21. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                  Racidio3 Level 1

I have this problem too and *nothing* has helped. Can't right-click and set in Properties, can't set file association in Control Panel / Default Applications, and none of the registry hacks has made any difference. JPGs and PNGs still open with Paint, no matter what I do. I even hacked out Paint 3D hoping that would help (via powershell) and nope, no difference.

Please, Adobe. Fix this.

• 22. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type

What has always surprised me is how little attention this has got. It's been a problem for many, many years and version cycles, and it affects a lot of users.

Some days ago I posted it on the feedback site, which is more closely monitored by Adobe staff, but no comments.

Again, the way to avoid it is to uninstall the old versions before installing the new.

• 23. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                      Racidio3 Level 1

Yeah, this is the first time I've encountered this, and it's very aggravating. I don't think uninstalling the old versions would have helped in my case, since this is a freshly formatted OS install. Shame they haven't been able to iron this one out yet.

• 24. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

This is an ancient problem. You see the default is set to Photoshop Image 19? That's the previous version now uninstalled.

The default setting for the CC app is to remove old versions after the new one is installed. This sometimes hijacks the registry so that the old version takes file associations with it, leaving them orphaned.

You couldn't know this, but Photoshop should always be installed in strict version order, and uninstalled in strict reverse version order. Last in, first out.

Try to uninstall and reinstall. If that doesn't work, run the CC cleaner tool and then reinstall.

The forum is always flooded with this when a new version comes out. It's rather disappointing that nothing has been done about this after all these years. It should be easy to instruct the CC app to uninstall first, then install the new.

Yes, it got me this time.  I went with the default when updating, and found that left me with the CC 2018 versions, which I then removed via the Application Manager.  I didn't think of it at the time, but it makes sense after reading your post.  Mine is still not fixed, but I think I'd rather uninstall, and reinstall Photoshop than mess with the Registry.

Hmmm....  I have just checked, and my Premier Pro files have the same issue, which means all the other Adobe apps will be the same.

• 25. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Yep. That fixed it, but I am not sure what the icon is to the left of 'Clock Face Master.psd'.  Anyone?  I wonder if it is a broken Smart Object link?  This is the file I had a lot of trouble with causing severe lag, and I tried to fix it by simplifying the layers, flattening the SOs and groups after saving them as unique files. I was a bit frustrated at having to do this, and may not have been as careful with my asset management as I should have been.

In case you missed that discussion, I recently discovered that the lag was linked to zoom ratio.  100% pixel size caused lag.  Any other zoom ratio didn't.  Resource Monitor showed no maxing out with CPU, drives, or GPU, and I still don't know why it was happening.

• 26. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                            Eric Jay Toll Level 1

Yes, I am having the exact same problem, and what's worse, Windows 10 no longer has the default file settings in Control Panel. If you try to reset default apps in the control panel, you're taken back to the cutesy-wootsey useless Settings feature.

Does anyone know how to set the defaults in the Registry? I believe that is going to be the only option.

I have not tried the drag-and-edit with Photoshop, so I'm going to give that a whirl. I did use PowerShell to uninstall the "Photos" program, so now all raster files default to Paint 3D with no option to use Photoshop.

what's even weirder is that among the option for raster image defaults like jpgs, is Audition, Illustrator, and Word.

• 27. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                              jordanh65344997 Level 1

I want to add my voice to this issue. Right now I can't associate PSD files with Photoshop 2019. Currently PS 2015 is the default program and clicking on Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 does nothing. I haven't yet tried altering the registry. I'll have to look into that later.

• 28. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                                LGX_GFX Level 1

When I updated to Photoshop 2019, the Creative Cloud app did not uninstall version 2018, so I was left with two versions of the program and no way to set Photoshop as a default program in Bridge or via Windows Explorer. I opened up the Creative Cloud app and uninstalled both versions of Photoshop. After re-installing Photoshop 2019, I was once again able to set it as my default program for image files. It would appear that the important thing is to uninstall all versions of the program before upgrading to a new version.

• 29. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type

This is being investigated by Adobe engineers now. In the meantime, try this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/file-association-broken-psd-after-photoshop-cc-2015-o n-windows.html

• 30. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                                    chunkysteveo Level 1

Can also confirm that updating REG key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.psd to "Photoshop.Image.20" worked for me finally. Original value was something like "Photoshop After Effects.16".. which was odd to have After Effects in there?!! Works now, another sucky fix!

• 31. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                                      jeffreyh96105683 Level 1

Unfortunately the solution given by the adobe document shown in the D Fosse post above didn't work. That registry key may have existed at that time, but it does not exist at this time (10/26/18).

However, the solution from chunkysteveo above did work. The entry was "Photoshop.Image.19". I simply changed it to "Photoshop.Image.20", then went back to settings | Apps |Default apps|Choose Default Apps By File Type .

I then scrolled down to .psd, and it then allowed me to select Adobe Photoshop 2019.

The user should not have to resort to registry editing at all in order to have the psd extension just work - in fact, for someone not familiar with the registry, there is a chance for a misstep. D Fosse said that this is being investigated by Adobe engineers now. Do we have to file a bug report in the feedback/family forum? From forum postings it seems that this problem has been going on for some time. In fact, I've used Win 10 for several years now - this is the first time I've had to resort to this to get a default file extension for a program to work.

• 32. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type

jeffreyh96105683  wrote

D Fosse said that this is being investigated by Adobe engineers now. Do we have to file a bug report in the feedback/family forum?

I got in touch with the Photoshop product manager through the back channel ACP section of the forum, so they know about the problem. That's how we got the updated help document.

What they may not know - if they haven't kept watching this and other threads subsequently - is that the registry edit doesn't work for everybody. That should definitely be brought to their attention, and the feedback site is the place to do it. I'd encourage everyone still affected to post there, and keep posting.

I'm not affected by this myself (at this time), so there are limits to my usefulness in the bug reports. It has much more weight coming from people who can report first hand experiences.

• 33. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                                          ClaireAnna Level 1

I agree! We should definitely NOT have to go into the registry and edit to fix this problem especially when Dfosse mentioned it is an age old issue! C'mon Adobe!

But I could not disrupt my workflow any longer dealing with the problem and wanted any solution possible, just glad I was able to do it right, had people here that knew what they were talking about and it fixed the issue for me.

It should be something Adobe is looking to resolve for the next update.

• 34. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                                            Donovan B Level 1

I'll add my .02c to this thread as well. Other than drinking heavily, here is my take as the IT guy for several adobe licenses.

The solution to this issue can be different for different users... because people use different products, and install/uninstall different apps, which ultimately create different registrations.

For example, if you use XD, you might find that .psd gets mapped to XD... or if you have older products, you might find that certain extensions get mapped to those older products. Here is what I think, and here is the best solution I can offer until Adobe and MicroSloth get their !@#$ together:  (use below with caution and see disclaimer at bottom)

First use Adobe Create Cloud to 'manage' (to right of product, click upside down carrot) your products keeping in mind that the last action taken usually takes precedence over the prior. So, for example, instead of simply updating photoshop. Uninstall the existing photoshop first, then install the new one (yes, you can keep your prefs). You may find that you will have to uninstall already upgraded products to get the order of installation right. For example, I had to uninstall XD 2019, then uninstall Photoshop 2019, then install XD again, and then PS again to get some mappings corrected.

This management using Creative Cloud won't always get it perfect.. and at this point, you need to get into regedit to fix remaining issues. The best thing I can tell you about this is to 2 things:

1.) Use the 'Find' feature in the Registry Editor

With 'Computer' selected in the left pain, go to: 'Edit' > 'Find..'

2.) Use common sense.

For example, if you are looking at a file in Explorer and it says 'Photoshop.Image.19'.. you know that Explorer is trying to map that file to an older photoshop.. and you know that it should be .20 instead. In this case, use the find feature in regedit to find 'Photoshop.Image.19' and use some common sense to either change those instances, or add new ones to point to .20.

Same for other mappings.. note the 'Type' column in Explorer.

Disclaimer: I only mention these thoughts because it is a fix for this problem that Adobe needs to resolve. You can damage your system functionality in regedit.. so don't say I didn't warn you. Use regedit with caution.

• 37. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                                              jeffreyh96105683 Level 1

Something to be aware of is that HKEY_CURRENT_USER applies to the current user only. So if you have multiple users on your machine, you may have to apply any HKEY_CURRENT_USER fixes with each user logged on. In my case, I have three accounts on the computer. One account had no problem at all, even with no registry changes. The other two did have the problem.

What is needed is for Adobe to provide a more global fix, that would apply to all accounts on a machine and allow all accounts to choose Adobe Photoshop 2019 as the default for .psd files, without need to modify the registry.

What I would guess is that there are different levels of items in the registry to handle file extensions, maybe to allow system admins to allow one user the ability to associate a given file extension with a given app, but deny another user the ability to do this. Perhaps the one we've been changing (the user-specific one) overrides the global registry entries - maybe it got set somehow in the past and is not being handled correctly now. This is just conjecture, but points out that Adobe probably needs to clean up registry entries related to .psd, or provide clear instructions to the user how to do this. D Fosse, can you work with your contact at Adobe, shall I write this up as a bug?

The one problem I see with writing a bug report is that there seems to be no way to reproduce this with any repeatability. Without a way to do so, the software engineer has to now conjecture with all the evidence presented in this forum and elsewhere, what might be causing the problem. Coupled with the fact that apparently multiple Adobe CC program can claim the .psd extension and perhaps that many registry entries (per machine and per user) can affect file extensions, it is no wonder that this problem has been going on so long.

• 38. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type

jeffreyh96105683  wrote

The one problem I see with writing a bug report is that there seems to be no way to reproduce this with any repeatability. Without a way to do so, the software engineer has to now conjecture with all the evidence presented in this forum and elsewhere, what might be causing the problem.

Yes, that is a good and relevant observation. It's hard to fix something when you can't get it to break first.

I don't have any more contacts than the back channel forums we have access to as ACPs. But there are staff representatives there who can pass on matters like this. What I will do is ask that the engineers keep following these threads (that I already passed links to).

I'd still encourage as many as possible to keep posting to the feedback site with any relevant information. That is the official channel, and it is actively monitored by Adobe engineers.

• 39. Re: Photoshop 2018 can't be set as default "open with" for any file type
                                                                                  therealgingernob Level 1

for those of us that are completely new to photoshop, a link to this 'feedback' site would be appreciated

David

1 2 Previous Next