• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag and Drop not working correctly... help?

Participant ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am trying to have CP2017 (on a MAC) run an advanced action 'On Failure'

Heres what it looks like:

They will DRAG the correct text from the left... onto the white boxed area on the right.

If they get the wrongs answers, I want the 'On Failure' action to run. (shown below)

Here's the advanced action:

Why doesnt this work?

Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

There is another way to set up a drat and drop interaction so that it will display messages to the user each time they do it incorrectly.  But it's somewhat complex to set up, and if you are a newbie Captivate developer, you might find it beyond your abilities.  It involves getting your hands dirty with Variables and Conditional Advanced Actions

The trick is that you make use of what are referred to as Object Actions.  If you select a Drop Target object and look on the Drag and Drop tab under For

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that the problem is due to incorrect terminology. The event 'Failure' only occurs after the last attempt, same as on question slides. Since you have Infinite attempts, it will never occur.  The option Failure should be grayed out in that case but it is not.  Bit confusing, I know. Is this a scored D&D?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Ohhhhhhh... thats why it doesnt work.

No, This is not being scored. How do I make this all happen then?

I want the remediation button to show each time they get the answers 'wrong'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit late here, or I would test it out. Just an idea: set Attempts to 1 since it is a KC slide. The Failure event will occur in that case. If you want to offer another attempt, you'll have to re-enter the slide.

If you could find time to log a bug report. this confusing issue exists since D&D appeared. i haev been logging bug reports, but until today it has not been fixed, probably because too few users log a report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... Ok I dont want to bother you too late..

Is there another way we could do this without them having to reload the slide each time.. Our users tend to be on the lower end of technology familiarity?  They will most likely become frustrated if they have to load the slide for each attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure to give good advice after midnight....

The learners do not have to see that the slide is reloading. You can use one of the buttons that are shown  to do it. Which one are they supposed to click?  Replay slide can be done in several ways. Which version do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another way to set up a drat and drop interaction so that it will display messages to the user each time they do it incorrectly.  But it's somewhat complex to set up, and if you are a newbie Captivate developer, you might find it beyond your abilities.  It involves getting your hands dirty with Variables and Conditional Advanced Actions

The trick is that you make use of what are referred to as Object Actions.  If you select a Drop Target object and look on the Drag and Drop tab under Format, you will see the Object Actions button.  This opens a dialog that allows you to specify Actions that will be performed when each of the Drag Objects in the interaction are dropped on that specific Drop Target object. 

This makes it possible to assign values to User Variables that you set up which will then track whether or not the correct object was dropped on its relevant target.  So as the user completes the drag and drop interaction, they are at the same time setting values of variables that are evaluated by a Conditional Advanced Action which will show the relevant failure message if not all drop objects are on their correct targets.

You need to hide the default Submit button and select the option for Auto Submit Correct Answers so that if the user drops everything in their correct positions then the Success action is automatically fired without them needing to click any button.  (I also recommend you turn on the Reset button so that the user can reset the drag objects to their original positions for each new attempt.)

Add a Smart Shape button to the slide to replace the Drag and Drop default submit button.  This button will execute the Conditional Advanced Action that evaluates all the variables tracking the positions of the drag objects.

If all of this sounds beyond you, don't feel bad.  Captivate's more advanced features take some time to get your head around.  I just wanted to let you see that there ARE other ways to get the result you wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to try the object actions solution, have a look at my blog posts:

Custom Failure Messages/Attempts - Drag&Drop - Captivate blog

Drag&Drop tips - Captivate blog

Maybe you are not aware of the fact that D&D objects also have InBuilt states since CP9 They can be an alternative to give immediate feedback. Full description ot those states in this post:

Drag&Drop in 2016 with Captivate 9 - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,

Thanks guys.

I have a web programmer that works with me. I'll give those things a try and let you know how it works out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Got it to work. Not 'exactly' they way I wanted but close enough. Thanks for all your help.

Just one last question on this... Is there any way to control the length of time that the success and failure popups are displayed?

pic.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found it

Click the object, go to the timing tab.. there it is right at the top

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources