• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed captions flashing between slides

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the new enhancements to Closed Captions in Captivate 2017, but they turn off between slides which results in a distracting on and off flashing. Is there anyway to override this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Sounds like it's time to log a bug then.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to the fact that the Closed Captioning text disappears when the audio clip on a slide finishes and only appears again when the next slide loads and another audio clip begins to play?

Or are you saying that end users need to reactivate the Closed Captioning again on each and every slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Rod, see my response below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still thinking that what you are referring to is only the fact that the CC text is disappearing when the audio clip ceases on each slide.

What do you mean by "background" in your previous response?  Are you referring to the CC text itself?  If so, the fact that the CC disappears when there is no audio is not a bug. It's normal behaviour.

If you mean something else, can you please show screenshots of when the "background" is present and when it is not so that we can see exactly what you are referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!This is what it is doing. The blue background was constant in the older version.

Starts with the interface then goes to closed caption and then back again as slides change.

It seems to be for the duration of the .5 sec silence before audio begins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it's time to log a bug then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The present version has a bug when using a custom CC button, that CC is automatically turned off on each slide, I wonder if the flashing you are seeing is related with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes at the end of each slide the background turns off and then comes back on after the .5 second delay in audio at the beginning of the next slide. This creates a flashing on and off which is very distracting especially as the module has many short slides representing a dialogue between a user and voice messaging software.

If it's a bug, when would it be likely to be rectified?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely works way different than it used to. I have some screens now that flash 3 or 4 times at the end of a slide. I use JavaScript to control the CC on each slide depending on the users interaction. So now I'm fighting with Captivate to keep it on if the user has clicked the CC button.

Don't have any fixes yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to captions flickering between slides, we are seeing it happen more than once on the same slide. Unfortunately it is intermittent so I can't pinpoint when it happens exactly, but it is very noticeable when it does. Talk about a major accessibility issue for people who have problems with flickers. I had one person actually get sick watching the captions. Yikes. 

Hopefully this will be fixed soon! We can't use 2017 until it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey moyco,

Have you found an answer to the flicker question? I have the same issue, but my flicker happens between each CC closed caption line of text appearance for each slide.

Let me know,

Thanks

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I logged a bug report and then heard back from support with a "fix," which is a special build of Captivate. We're testing it now, and I'll report back if it worked for us. In the meantime, if you want to try it, here's the text of the email:

We have a new build that will fix the below issue with Captivate 2017 and Mac OS High Sierra. Please follow the below steps to install the new build on your Mac OS-

1. Uninstall the current build of Adobe Captivate 2017 from your system. (Go to: /Application/Adobe Captivate/Uninstall. Make sure to check “Remove Preferences” from the uninstall screen).
  2. Download the new build from the following link: https://adobe.ly/2F0RZVs
  3. Unzip the downloaded file.
  4. Now run Captivate_2017_LS21.dmg file to begin the installation.
  5. Once installed check the issue again.

For Windows OS, please follow the below instructions-

1. Uninstall the current build of Adobe Captivate 2017 from your system from the Control Panel> Programs and Features.
  2. Download the new build from the following link: https://adobe.ly/2A5O9rt                                                                                                     
  3. Unzip the downloaded file.
  4. Now run Setup.exe file which is placed under Adobe Captivate 2017 folder to begin the installation.
  5. Once installed check the issue again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply moyco. Please let me know how it works. I'm at  the end of a big project and hate to potentially make things worse with a last minute software "fix" ....

Thanks!!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

This fixed our flashing captions problem. Good luck!

Karen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Karen, That worked, many thanks for sharing your knowledge and the download links!!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources