0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2008 3:47 PM by joshua_shizny

traversing and editing groupingCollection

joshua_shizny

ok, anybody know how to transform a groupingCollection into some sort of Hierarchical data that I can edit. What I'd like to do is pass an advanced data grid a hierarchical data structure with no leaf nodes. I tried creating a groupingCollection from flat data, passing that to a new HierarchicalData instance, but when I look at the data it looks flat and I can't traverse it like I would normally traverse a tree.

var sBs:HierarchicalData = new HierarchicalData(groupingCollP);
      var sTs:HierarchicalCollectionView = new HierarchicalCollectionView(sBs);

I also tried just using the grouping collection straight, which when looked at through the debugger is hierarchical. But... when I traverse each node I can only see the children properties, and have to way to add or remove a node which I would then pass back to the adg.

var root:Object = groupingCollP.getRoot();
      TraverseTree(root[0]);

I'm also trying stuff like

myXML = new XML(groupingCollP)
      traverseTree(myXML);

Man, I can't get it working. So my overall question is does somebody know how I can group flat data using a GroupingCollection and then traverse that collection adding / deleting / modifying nodes as I go. I'm not looking for the traversal algorithm, I have that. I just need to know how to get the data in the correct format.

Thanks a million times a billion if anybody knows this.