• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 5 nightmare, any help from the community?

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have had a somewhat Kafka-esque problem with Lightroom 5.

About a month ago, I foolishly upgraded my licensed version to 5.7.1. On starting up the app (on a MacBook Pro), it had turned into a trial version. On entering my serial number, it was said to be "invalid". I could not access the develop tab after this expired.

I have contacted Adobe help on several occasions. A number of solutions were offered, to download patches, analytical tools, etc. Finally, the problem was escalated and a technician spent hours deleting files, preferences, installing and re-installing Lightroom. Now it quickly opens with flash screen and crashes without opening any further.

After returning from a trip, I have today contacted Adobe help again. I have been told, rather curtly, that they cannot support Lightroom 5 and must ask for help on this forum. Oh, and they said I could always upgrade to the Photo package for 12.09 euros per month…

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Roly

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you upgrade from? If you had an earlier version of Lightroom 5 then installing Lightroom 5.71 should have been an update, not an upgrade. That should not have required entering a serial number. If you had Lightroom 4 or earlier then installing Lightroom 5.71 would have been an upgrade which would require a serial number. Unfortunately, Adobe no longer sells that version. It would be difficult for you to obtain a valid serial number for Lightroom 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, sorry, meant "update". That's what I did, updated through the relevant menu option within Lightroom. That's when the nightmare started…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you still didn't really answer the question. Did the menu say it was an upgrade or an update? The answer here is critical. Updates are free, upgrades are not free and require a new serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Lightroom 5 to 5.7.1 from the menu within Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something doesn't sound right here. Installing updates should find the serial number from the original Lightroom 5 installation. You shouldn't have to  even enter the serial number again. An update to Lightroom 5.71 should be a simple installation and then move on to working with Lightroom. Is this MacBook Pro the same computer that you originally installed Lightroom 5 on in the first place? Where did you download Lightroom 5.71 from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I know it SHOULDN'T have happened. 😞

Yes, it is the same computer. It installed the update, restarted Lightroom, and was faced with the problem, which worsened from thereon in. I downloaded the update from the link I was taken to from within the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest that you uninstall Lightroom and then reinstall by downloading from the following link:

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Doing such an installation will have no impact on your catalog or any of the work that you have done. But it will assure you that you have the latest Lightroom 5.71 from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I did that before, but no harm in trying again. I'll let you know how I get on…

Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…and nothing has changed. Lightroom tries to open, flash screen appears and disappears.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines