6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2017 4:55 AM by Gutter-Fish

Has adobe been hacked?

Whitstabubble

I'd prefer to report this confidentially to Adobe but cannot find the means to do so, but just to let you know ADOBE (are you listening?) I've received weird spam, possibly infected, addressed to my unique adobe email account registration address.  I don't use the email address for anything else and I log in using a password manager so it can't have been obtained by a key-logger at my end.  So someone has got my details from Adobe.   

• 1. Re: Has adobe been hacked?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

You are posting this in the Acrobat Reader forum. It should be in either forum comments or the lounge.

But just because you have received some spam emails to your Adobe ID account means just about nothing. Spammers use programs to generate email addresses. They send out emails to those generated addresses and if they don't get bounced then they know it is a real address that someone is using.

So more than likely that is how your email address.

So unless you have used something like 1#&"pete[=)conner%! @ SomeEmailServerAddress . com you will eventually get some spam coming through.

That doesn't mean someone hacked Adobe.com or someone at Adobe gave out your email address.

Also the spammers do not need to know the password for your Adobe ID to send spam email to that email address.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Has adobe been hacked?
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

Unfortunately it's common business practice for large corporations to sell your personal contact information to mailing list warehouses that sell their the mailing lists they compile to anyone with a few bucks.

There's nothing illegal about it either.  It's usually buried somewhere  deep in the "user agreement" and looks something like "we may share certain information with entities under our parent umbrella or which we are entered into contracts with....etc."

I once caught Sprint communication red handed selling my personal information but there was nothing i could do.

It's possible your personal information was stolen from Adobe's servers but it's much more likely that they sold it to a company

that resells it.  Like I said. It's common practice in massive media & communication companies regardless of whatever promises

& denials they make. 

• 4. Re: Has adobe been hacked?
              Ussnorway Adobe Community Professional

paypal was hacked but I'm not aware of Adobe cases

• 5. Re: Has adobe been hacked?
                JR_Boulay Adobe Community Professional

It's possible your personal information was stolen from Adobe's servers but it's much more likely that they sold it to a company

that resells it.  Like I said. It's common practice in massive media & communication companies regardless of whatever promises

As far as I know Adobe has always denied using this kind of practices.

(Adobe certainly keeps them for its own use… )

• 6. Re: Has adobe been hacked?
                  Gutter-Fish Level 4

Denial is just a river in Africa.   And it's for sale