21 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2008 7:44 AM by Ned Murphy

editing button

dmurphy Level 1
      I have a flash template, the fla and the swf. I want to edit the buttons to point to the correct pages. I have cllicked on the buttons and did an edit, then in the action pointed the the index.html made it the _parent, locked the button. My problem is it is not going to the index page.

Is there something else I need to do.

Thank you
      Darlene D. Murphy
        • 1. Re: editing button
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Can you show the code you used for the button? You may not need to use the _parent reference if the button is in the movie scene that will be replaced with the index page.
          • 2. Re: editing button
            dmurphy Level 1
            This was a template a friend gave me. I wish I could import the swf. I do think this is part of the movie. Is there a way to send the swf file?

Thank you
            Dee
            • 3. Re: editing button
              The swf file isn't going to be helpful in resolving the problem with the buttons if the buttons are in the fla file. The fla file is what needs to be scrutinized. I would expect that the swf file is just the published output of the template.

How large is the fla file (as in bytes)?

Is the template another file separate from the fla file you have?
              • 4. Re: editing button
                dmurphy Level 1
                The .fla is 47,320 kb. Yes they are separate, the .fla and the .swf. Those are the only two files I have. I create the .swf file as I save it for publishing.

Thanks
                Dee
                • 5. Re: editing button
                  They have to be separate, but I'm wondering if the swf is just what the fla file produced (that's what they do, create swfs, among other things).

I was going to offer to take a look at it, but that's a tad too large a file.

So can you attach the code to your next posting for one of the buttons in the fla file that is giving you a problem?
                  • 6. Re: editing button
                    dmurphy Level 1
                    Could you please tell me how to attach the code? I am fairly new at looking at the code.

Thank you
                    Dee
                    • 7. Re: editing button
                      dmurphy Level 1
                      I requested help with this problem yesterday. I am still in need of assistance with how to put into my flash template where the buttons are located the action that needs to be done on the navigation bar. For instance I want the home button to go to the index.html page, the about button to go to the about.html, etc.

Please help
                      Darlene
                      Dee
                      • 8. Re: editing button
                        I sent you a private message yesterday, but it looks as though you may not have seen it yet.

In my previous posting above, I meant for you to attach the code for one of your buttons to a posting so that it could be looked at here. To do that, click the reply link in this posting and a window will open which has a few buttons, one of which is Attach Code.

The code for your buttons may not be so long that you'd need to use that... you could just paste it into your posting as part of the message if so. The Attach Code feature retains the indented format that the code might have, whereas pasting it in the posting keeps every line left justified. Example:

Pasted code:

var words = "this line is not indented";
                        var more = "this has 5 spaces in front of it";

Attached Code:
                        • 9. Re: editing button
                          dmurphy Level 1
                          Sorry for not seeing your posting yesterday. Second, I do not see any coding. I can point you to the web site where it is located which is www.trtent.com I have the .fla on my computer.

Let me know if this helps any.

Thank you
                          Dee
                          • 10. Re: editing button
                            It's probably best to step back to your original posting. You mention editing a button and did something in the action to point it to index.html. Can you describe what you did in more detail as far as editing the button? Where is the "action" that you say you pointed the index.html page.

If you can recreate a simplified version of what you did for this button in a smaller Flash file I can take a look at it. Just include a button that you have edited already in the template file... Open a new file, copy the button from the stage in the template file, and paste it onto the stage of the new file. It doesn't have to work at all, I just need to see what you have for the button coding. If the button coding is in the timeline, then include it in the smaller file's timeline also.
                            • 11. Re: editing button
                              dmurphy Level 1
                              What I did was cllick on the navigation bar, then the button, then click edit. On the properties window is where I put index.html with the _parent, was that the correct way to do this? I am new to posting this way and do not quite know how to send you code or anything.

Dee
                              • 12. Re: editing button
                                It doesn't sound like you did it properly. Can you check the Publish Settings and tell me what version of Actionscript the Flash file is using?
                                • 13. Re: editing button
                                  dmurphy Level 1
                                  It was publishing with action script 1.0 and I think I need 2.0 with Flash 8 is that correct? After changing that and then publishing will it work correctly?

Thank you
                                  Dee
                                  • 14. Re: editing button
                                    dmurphy Level 1
                                    I tried it before you could answer me and this is the information I got:

encountered
                                    getURL(/:url6);

Total ActionScript Errors: 6 Reported Errors: 6

Thank you
                                    Dee
                                    • 15. Re: editing button
                                      You don't need actionscript 2, but it's probably better to use it (1 is just old stuff that has little if any future in Flash)

Can you copy the getURL line of code from one of the buttons and paste it here in the posting like you did for the error message?

It sounds like that might be the key to solving this... actually if you could copy and paste all of the code surrounding the getURL line it would be even better because that lline just might be a victim of another line..
                                      • 16. Re: editing button
                                        Oh, I retract what I said regarding Actionscript 2. It is possible that there are other parts of the template that are using AS1 that will end up being problematic with AS2 being specified, so it may be best to leave it at AS1 for now.
                                        • 17. Re: editing button
                                          dmurphy Level 1
                                          I have done that, now things are back to the way they were using actionscript 1.0, but the buttons still do not work. What should I try next?

Thank you
                                          Dee
                                          • 18. Re: editing button
                                            Can you copy the getURL line of code from one of the buttons and paste it here in the posting like you did for the error message?

It sounds like that might be the key to solving this... actually if you could copy and paste all of the code surrounding the getURL line it would be even better because that lline just might be a victim of another line.

If you can't do this, I can't help you... and in that case, I recommend you drop this series of postings and start a new one so that someone else might see 0 responses and try to help you (not intended in a nasty way... it's just that postings unanswered get more immediate attention) Try posting it in the Actionscript 1/2 forum since that's where your problem probably lies.
                                            • 19. Re: editing button
                                              dmurphy Level 1
                                              Is there anyway I can send the .fla to you. I can't post any of the information from the .fla. Let me know if you still think I should post somewhere else. I understand what you said and I need to get this finished.

Thank you
                                              Dee
                                              • 20. Re: editing button
                                                dmurphy Level 1
                                                How about if I let you log into the web site to look at the .fla?

Dee
                                                • 21. Re: editing button
                                                  Start a new posting.