• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 156 when trying to install Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a failure when trying to install Lightroom CC (v1.0.1) and Lightroom Classic CC (v7.0 and v7.0.1).  Lightroom CC (2015) (v6.0) installed without an issue.

Exit Code: 156

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 1 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 156) executing in command 'CreateSymlinkCommand' for package: 'AdobeLightroom-mul', version:7.0.1.1142117

FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeLightroom-mul Version: 7.0.1.1142117). Error code: '156'

WARN: Unable to create symlink at "[UserDocuments]\..\Desktop\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC.lnk"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

FATAL: Error (Code = 156) executing in command 'CreateSymlinkCommand' for package: 'AdobeLightroomCC-mul', version:1.0.1.201711021240

FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeLightroomCC-mul Version: 1.0.1.201711021240). Error code: '156'

WARN: Unable to create symlink at "[UserDocuments]\..\Desktop\Lightroom CC.lnk"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FATAL: Error (Code = 156) executing in command 'CreateSymlinkCommand' for package: 'AdobeLightroom-mul', version:7.0.0.1140024

FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeLightroom-mul Version: 7.0.0.1140024). Error code: '156'

WARN: Unable to create symlink at "[UserDocuments]\..\Desktop\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC.lnk"

I have not found a solution, just a few others having issues.

My Desktop and my Documents folders are not named as usual, and are not on my OS/Program drive as windows does by default (nor would they fit on the SSD).

The symbolic links for both are working for everything else.  Nor do I care (nor want) my desktop cluttered up with lightroom shortcuts.  I go under the start menu to do it, as generally I am multitasking and rarely see the desktop.

I have tried uninstalling the suite, and reinstalling, to no change.  I had originally had the 2 folders in different locations but moved the desktop and named it "Desktop" relative to the Documents folder (Confirmed that when in a powershell, with my documents being the working directory, "cd ..\Desktop\" works correctly), and no change.

I have too much data to want to stick it on my SSD, as it is off it for several reasons: 1) for OS reload, already safe, 2) doesn't need to cut down the write cycles on my ssd for it.  I have enough space to deal with it on both drives.

It looks like the software developers were lazy and instead of calling the desktop separately, decided to call it from the Documents directory, for some reason... and not sure why that fails, still (unless they are assuming they are on the C drive... which they are not).

Also, failing to put a link on the Desktop should not cause the whole program install to fail!  A warning, I could see.

Windows 10 Build 1703 Ultimate x64

SSD & HDD drives

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

using a browser that allows popups and cookies,  contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here and, when available, click 'chat', http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using a browser that allows popups and cookies,  contact adobe support during pst business hours by clicking here and, when available, click 'chat', http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is I work m-f, and often get home just as the support hours close, and they are closed when I leave.  I have not had time that I can get support to get it to install!

All I can see is an error that says that it can't create the link!  (That should be a warning, not an error!)

The error is in the installer.  I have found that it requires:

1) The Documents Directory MUST be in the default location (C:\Users\<Username>\Documents)

2) The Desktop Directory MUST be in the default location (C:\Users\<Username>\Desktop)

I have a SSD that does not fit them, so I have them on another drive (D:\=Profile\Documents and D:\=Profile\Desktop).  They are off the OS drive for if I have to reset my entire system, due to a failure, they would not be effected.

I had to reset the location to default to have it install it (Which has been done without any errors)!  As soon as I moved the directory (without moving the files), the installers for both the Classic and the newer Cloud ones worked without issue, where before they were giving the errors. 

Moved the folders back after the installs completed, and tested both: they run without any complaint.

I do not know why the installer needs to access my Documents directory, as it doesn't do anything there, that I can see. 

The Desktop shortcut should not be hard-coded, but use the system's location information. 

Is there any way this bug can be passed to the developers to have them fix it for the next release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines