Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying User Defined Variables across project

New Here ,
May 07, 2008 May 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working with the User Defined Variables feature and can't seem to figure out how to apply a variable/value across all topics. I may have misunderstood the definition of what this is supposed to do, so it may be user error. It is my understanding that if you have information that use repeatedly, for instance if I refer to a product name in numerous topics and the product name changes, I can set up a user defined variable and set this to update all the occurrences. I can change it going in each topic and each sentence where the occurence is by right-clicking the word and selecting Insert User Defined Variable. Any ideas as to what I can do to make a global update. Also, I'm reading the help, but still seem to be missing something.

Thanks,
Michele

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You insert variable CoName (or whatever you call it) in each topic. The default value is whatever you set up.

When you generate help, you get an option to edit the value for that output.

Try this article.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/robohelp/articles/userdefinedvars.html

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you, Peter! This article is very informative and much more clear (to me) than what I read in the RoboHelp help manual. I understand now that this feature is used when you are creating topics in a project and anticipating what may change--in which case you insert the variable as you need it, then if it changes in the future you can update it easily. I was looking at it as more of a global search and replace to update information that already exists. I think it will come in handy with our documentation projects.

Thanks again. :-)
Michele

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp