4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2017 5:40 PM by donm57522942

Headings, etc. are not being shown in the Touch Up Reading Order tool after saving as a tagged PDF from Word

donm57522942 Level 1

The document is being tagged, perhaps properly, but it is impossible to tell using the TURO tool when showing structure types. In the Tags pane, headings are shown as <H1>,  <H2>, etc in the actual tags, but when the TURO tool is on, these show up as text [P]. Similar problems happen with tables - all headings, data cells, etc. show as P, but in the tags panel I can see that some of the markup <Table> , <TBody>, <TR>, <TH>, and <TD> are actually there. 

I can use the TURO tool to re-tag and then it displays properly...but it should display that the proper structural tags from the outset so that one can visually check structure types without "Find Tag from selection" in the tags panel for every item. 

I've never seen this problem before and suspect it has to do with a recent update/release. Using Pro DC on Win 10.

I'm posting here because the forum accessed directly from within the product yielded no response. I then waited for over 3 hours to 'chat' with tech support who said they need to escalate - I provided a time window and received no call...but they did send two emails stating they closed the ticket (though not resolves). Any input would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Headings, etc. are not being shown in the Touch Up Reading Order tool after saving as a tagged PDF from Word
          Dave__M Adobe Community Professional

Interesting!  I just tried this on a sample document, and sure enough, the tags are pretty odd in the Order panel.  In mine, I have a Table (with a header row), all tagged appropriately.  But in the Order panel, they are being shown as simply container objects.  Luckily, you can click on the container in the panel, and it highlights the content on the page, allowing you to rearrange the objects in the appropriate order.  Jumping back t the Tags panel after adjusting does give me the desired tag structure - it appears to be independent from the containers used in the Order panel.

I hope this is in some way helpful.  I really like what the accessibility tools have become, but there are surprises around a few corners for those of us who have been doing this in the older versions.

My best,

Dave

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Headings, etc. are not being shown in the Touch Up Reading Order tool after saving as a tagged PDF from Word
            donm57522942 Level 1

Thanks, Dave, your reply is helpful because maybe it will help alert others to there being a problem and perhaps it will get fixed.

I just tried another document and found that if I use TURO to select Table (on an item that already appears as a table but shows with Ps instead of the proper tag structure), then the actual underlying tags show. However, it doesn't carry the tags over properly, which means time-consuming manual tagging. I need a break from this so I'm packing it in for the weekend now...  hopefully there will be a resolution or at least some clarity next week.

• 3. Re: Headings, etc. are not being shown in the Touch Up Reading Order tool after saving as a tagged PDF from Word
              a_C_student Level 3

Yep, interesting. I had never noticed this behavior, but then I do not pay much attention to what the TURO tool shows. I checked a document that I previously tagged and almost immediately spotted an H2 shown by TURO as P. That document was tested thoroughly against WCAG 2.0 and ISO 14289 and passed with flying colors. So, I would not worry about it. TURO is for tagging, not very good apparently at displaying the tags correctly. For that, use the Tags pane, and verify using a free screen reader emulator like Callas PDFgoHTML, and/or the one built into PAC 2 from Access for All.

• 4. Re: Headings, etc. are not being shown in the Touch Up Reading Order tool after saving as a tagged PDF from Word
                donm57522942 Level 1

Thanks for looking into it and testing, I really appreaciate it.

Likewise, I don't recall TURO ever not showing structure correctly before (that's the purpose of the "Structure types" tick box). My main concern is that people who aren't real familiar with PDF accessibility remediation and who are trying to make a more accessible document will panic when it appears none of the tagging has transferred over (if viewed via TURO). They may start manually tagging everything and wasting a lot of time. On the other hand, if they look in the tags panel, they'll see that it has structure, but confirming everything that way is tedious. The alternate tools (thank you again, for providing details) are useful, but when we have a lot of documents and little time to fix them, going to a 3rd party tool for functionality that used to be present isn't going to be well received.

I hope it's just a bug that can be fixed in a new release. I re-opened my ticket again today and was promised a call back within a 4-hour window...that didn't happen, but they didn't close it again, so perhaps tomorrow.