4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2017 12:39 AM by Gutterfish

Seamlessly Loop Wave Warp Effect

johnt53984649 Level 2

For most effects with a "phase angle", all I have to do to seamlessly loop them over a given time interval is just place a keyframe with at phase angle 0 at the beginning and then a keyframe at the end that's just any whole integer of the phase angle (for example, I can do this with Motion Tile to repeatedly shift an image across the screen).  However, when I attempt to do the same thing with the Wave Warp effect, it doesn't line up at all!  (This is after setting it to a wave speed of 0.)  I noticed that I instead had to set the phase angle to o 256 degrees to get it to line up properly (or any whole number multiple of 256 for more loops).  I'm not quite sure why this is.  I'm not sure if this is consistent across layers or not, as I've got the feeling it might be dependent on the actual width or height of the layer.

So how can I make wave warp loop seamlessly?

• 1. Re: Seamlessly Loop Wave Warp Effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not clear what you are saying. The exact repeats are dependent on the Wave Width, which is user controlled and the phase is merely an offset for the underlying formula. Of course for a sine wave it will have something to do with the equivalent angles to multiples of Pi. It's not a linear function. Additionally of course there may be an uneven fractional number of waves depending on how you set the width. Similar logic applies to other wave types. There's nothing wrong here. You just need to understand the math and eitehr tweak your values accordingly or create a smart expression for it.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Seamlessly Loop Wave Warp Effect
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi JohnT,

Did you get this working according to your needs? How did you do this?

Thanks,
            Kevin

• 3. Re: Seamlessly Loop Wave Warp Effect
              johnt53984649 Level 2

I just had to stick with what I said in my original post (using multiples of 256 degrees for the phase angle).  It seems to be independent of the other parameters of the wave warp function; no matter what layer I apply it to or whatever other parameters I change, for some reason 256 seems to correspond to a phase change of 2*Pi for the wave (hence creating the loop).

Maybe this is an issue with CC 2014.0 that isn't present in other versions (not sure).  Perhaps that's why there's this confusion.

• 4. Re: Seamlessly Loop Wave Warp Effect
                Gutterfish Adobe Community Professional

johnt53984649  wrote

it loops automatically using 'Wave Speed'

Is there some reason you're using key frames & a loop out?

Either way Mylenium gave you the correct answer. 

It's the math.  Luckily, the effect does the math for you if you use 'Wave Speed'.

There's no keyframing or Loop Outs necessary