• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly Unable to Drag Objects Around with Mouse: Already trashed preferences and ensured no interference with browser plugins

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the middle of my workflow I became unable to drag objects around with my mouse. I can click and drag on anchor points, nudge them with the arrow keys, and otherwise edit the object. I have ensured the objects are not locked of some weird setting is on preventing movement.

This happens in all documents. I tried all troubleshooting suggested in this article without luck. I am using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 with InDesign CC  2014.2 10.2.0.69

No recent updates have been installed. I trashed all my preferences and restarted my computer with no change.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been coming up on occasion. Sometimes clearing prefs and cache works (not for you though), other times it's another program interfering, so rebooting and not opening up any other applications may help.

I found the most thorough list of steps to fix it in this thread, from an Adobe employee, 3rd from the bottom.

Unable to move objects with mouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling and that cleared it up for me. Wish I knew the root of the issue, but I am glad it's back to normal now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled, then reinstalled indesign

Deleted applicationpreference.plist, but either one has worked for me.

Problem remaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's how to delete preferences in InDesign (it doesn't use the .plist file):

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Uninstalling and reinstalling also DOESN'T delete preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, before I mess with clearing ID prefs, I prefer to rebuild my Mac's permissions...gets rid of several pesky oddities (like my empty Tab panel). That's in Disk Utility...in case it happens again...hopefully you're golden for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines