7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2017 7:16 AM by SativaPhoenix

Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)

AARDVARK7 Level 1

When I try to use 'Liquify' it works initially, but when I use my Wacom control to zoom it can suddenly switch back to the basic photoshop and I lose any adjustments already made.

This is really annoying and has only begun after the recent updates. Suggestions???

• 1. Re: Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Are any crash reports generated? Look in your Mac or Windows event logs. What are you running?

• 2. Re: Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)
            AARDVARK7 Level 1

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, via an i7 7700K CPU, with 32Gb RAM and an NVidia 1060GTX card. I work on a Wacom Cintiq 24HD.

All updates are installed and all drivers are the latest.

There's nothing to see in any of the event logs, let alone relating to this issue.

I have a file open and wish to liquify. The tool opens fine and will work. However, almost randomly, as I'm zooming using the rotary control of the Cintiq, the liquefy screen just disappears and I back into the Photoshop workspace. All changes made during that liquify to that point are reversed to the original shape.

I've tried all the different settings for the graphic card acceleration, but it makes no difference.

This worked perfectly prior to the Adobe update, so you must, by definition, have introduced something which now conflicts or is broken.

Please provide a solution as this is a very important tool for me and I don't have the time to repeat work over and over.

• 3. Re: Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)
              davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

I don't have the Cintiq but cannot replicate your issue using an Intuos Pro.

This forum is answered mainly by users (unless you see the red "Staff" badge. To raise a bug report that will be seen by Adobe staff, use the link below and give as much info on your system as possible including driver and OS versions.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

• 4. Re: Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)
                AARDVARK7 Level 1

I appreciate the help.

The main issue with Adobe is that despite charging a huge sum, they make getting support almost impossible. The only reason I posted here is because I was completely unaware of what else to do. I will post a bug report, but I'm not optimistic of a solution in the short term.

• 5. Re: Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

If the tool is very important you should reinstall a prior version of Photoshop.  IMO Adobe did the user a disservice when the changed their installers to remove users working applications when they install a newer version of an Adobe Application.  I always use the installers advance options and keep my working version installed.  

I will admit now I only have  CS6, CC 2014 and CC 2018 installed.    CC 2015, CC 2015.5. CC 2017 and CC 2018 have bugs I don't want.  I use CC 2014.

I can work around most bugs in CC 2018.   However I have use CC 2014 for years and the newer versions new features are not useful for what I do with Photoshop.  I'm not a web developer that would find the new features useful.

Every new version of Photoshop has old and new bug.  So I keep using CC 2014 and test newer versions to see in any new desirable compelling feature has been added I would want to use.

• 6. Re: Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)
                    AARDVARK7 Level 1

I do appreciate that you've found your own 'workaround', but that's not really an efficient solution.

****However, I believe I have discovered an important factor!***

This may, or may not, be definitive, but I think I have stumbled upon the 'keystroke' that causes the issue.

When you use the rotary controller to zoom, if you move too fast (I'm a quick worker) and your thumb slips from one side to the other, rather than a smooth circular motion, that causes the sudden fail of 'Liquify'. Nice, precise and slow rotation is fine and stable (fingers crossed), but if you happen to come off the ring at all while 'spinning' and come back on towards the other side, you get the bug rearing its head. I have some more testing, but I think I may have found the source.

On a connected long-standing issue with the Wacom, the tool selection is often far too slow. You 'click' on the tool required, but if you don't do it deliberately and slloooowwwlly, the previous tool remains selected. Does anyone know if this is an Adobe issue, Wacom, or Windows? I haven't noticed it with other software, but I don't change tools as often, so can't be sure.

• 7. Re: Liquify crashing, but not Photoshop (using Wacom)
                      SativaPhoenix

Latest drivers are usually the problem;