• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change static background layer possible?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm using AE to make a gif where I'm animating some text from an imported Photoshop file that has a static background layer and some text layers. What I'd like to know is, if I need to edit the background layer, is it possible to add in the change while still keeping the text animations I did? Or will I have to always re-import the Photoshop file and redo the animations any time I make a change to the background?

changebg.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

You can replace any layer in the timeline except a text or shape layer with any asset in the Project Panel by selecting the layer you want to change in the timeline, then select the replacement layer in the Project panel and hold down the Alt/option key while dragging to the timeline. Then release and the layer is replaced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you import it -- as a Photoshop file or as an AE comp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I'm new to AE so I'm not sure? To import, I did File->Import File and then after selecting my PSD I selected "Import Kind: Composition - Retain Layer Sizes" and checked Editable Layer Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can replace any layer in the timeline except a text or shape layer with any asset in the Project Panel by selecting the layer you want to change in the timeline, then select the replacement layer in the Project panel and hold down the Alt/option key while dragging to the timeline. Then release and the layer is replaced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines