You do not edit the wordpress files to create content, instead you must use the wordpress admin panel.
The only time you would edit the wordpress php files directly, would be to modify the php code, which if done incorrectly would break your entire wordpress site.
1 person found this helpful
it doesn't really work that way... you can do what you try and expect... but it will take longer and it is painfull that way... let me try to explain two points that we must consider
1 - once every files + database will be set in local host... that wont be enought to make the local WP run... you will have to handle different settings
1 - 1 you will need to reconfigure the wp-config.php file to set the database local user and password... many chance that it will be root and empty password and not any more the ones used on line by the remote server
1 - 2 you will have to reset in the wp_options table the record where option_name = url and set the option_value to your local url, idem for the record where option_name = home.... generally they are located in option_id 1 and 37
1 - 3 you will have to replace in all post located in wp_post table every where where you use your online url and replace it by the local URL...
the best way for points 1 - 2 et 1 - 3 is to export your database, handle the search and replace in a correct text editor and then reimport the database... you can have an article there Transférer son site local sur un serveur de production – Puce et Média if you have trouble to localise it (its in french), please let me know I will try to do it...
as I told you when starting this message there are two points... so the second... is ...
why would you like to edit your web site locally... because, if you do it that way... you will have to follow point 1 - 1 to point 1 - 3... then when you will be done for editing, you will have to do it the same, but in the other way...
generally when we deit WP lovcally, it is just because we need to edit a PHP plug in, of a child template, or a template... but we never touch locally to the pure content... just the nuts...
does this makes sense ?
Thank you very much for your replies!
What I want to do in DW is not editing the php code.
I want to style some pages I created online in the Wordpress admin panel.
There are a few things that you cannot even change with custom css within Wordpress, unfortunately.
I always thought that most developers use Dreamweaver or other similar tools to edit and maintain CMS templates and then upload them to the host servers.
It would be really cool if you could guide me to the english version. I love France but I´m afraid my french isn´t good enough to understand the whole article
1 person found this helpful
If it is only to apply to certain pages, then you probably want to create a 'child theme' for wordpress, see -
I have different ways... let me know if ones fits your needs, if not I will manually translate the article
- ask google
- check an alternative article
How to Move Content From One WordPress Site to Another - WPMU DEV
I haven't read it...
- use the wordpress codex Changing The Site URL « WordPress Codex
let me know
- ask google
Understanding WordPress Themes and how they work is essential for customizing.
If you want to check work locally, you need a local testing server with WordPress installed.
Pick one of the Apache servers below and follow their installation instructions.
- WAMP for Windows - http://www.wampserver.com/en/
- XAMPP for Windows - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
- XAMPP for Mac - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html
- MAMP for Mac - http://www.mamp.info/en/downloads/index.html
See Setting up a PHP environment in Dreamweaver
I think the OT said in first phrase that she was using xampp... so the step of questionning is further than installing it... don't you think ?
google translate worked fine
Lots of great info there, I think I´ll try the Duplicator and come back to report.
Migrating the complete site from one server to another, within wordpress is an option I didn´t think about until now.
Thank you so much @Birnou and @pziecina for your support! I really appreciate it
if google translate works fine, there are different others WP's articles, there, that could interest you, as :
- create a sand box for WP (it is more or less what you are currently doing) Créer son bac à sable pour WordPress – Puce et Média
- set a basic protection for WP - Mettre en place une protection minimale – Puce et Média
- if you didn't change the root name of your tables during installation, here you can find how to handle it once WP is already installed Changer la racine de ses tables une fois WordPress installé – Puce et Média
- once installed, some plugin can be really interesting to complete WP Compléter votre installation WordPress par quelques plugins – Puce et Média
- if you need to develop your own template, child template or plug in, you will need to debug in within wordpress, sor here it is to run an debug mode Passer WordPress en mode Débogage – Puce et Média
- when you work on your site, you can set it under-construction, here are some ways to handle it Placer son site en mode maintenance – Puce et Média
- how to create and set a child theme Créer un thème enfant pour WordPress – Puce et Média
- go further with a child theme Aller plus loin avec un Child-Thème – Puce et Média
- child theme , deal with dependencies http://www.puce-et-media.com/child-theme-gerer-les-dependances/
- basis for developing a plug in Les bases de développement d’un plugin pour WordPress – Puce et Média
- add filters and hook to a plug in Ajouter des Filtres et Actions à son plugin – Puce et Média
- if WP or your template is not in your own language how to localise it using Poedit Localiser son installation WordPress avec PoEdit – Puce et Média