• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make with Top Object - Text Distorted

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am attempting to create a word art graphic in AI and am having a problem with the text distorting.  I hope I can explain this in detail in hopes that you can create the problem if needed and help me troubleshoot it.

I have attached a photo of my workspace in hopes of getting the help that I need. 

When I draw shapes ( I've tried both the pen tool and the shape tool ) and still get the same results.

After drawing a shape, if the place the text horizontal, it matches the shape for the most part. When I rotate that text (whether it be actual text or converted to outlines) I get the same result of the text shown, on the left bottom example. The shape is the top layer and text is under the object.

I have also tried to create under Object -> Envelope Distort -> Make with Mesh, setting it to 1 row and then set the number of columns to match the number of characters in the text, I still get the same skewed / skiwampused results. Any help would be great!

Capture.JPG

On a side note, I have done a similar project and didn't run into this problem.  Here is an example of a former project without any problems.

Capture 2.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your other project it was simpler to make meshes.

You could try and first rotate both the text and the shape so they are horizontal. Then make the mesh. Then rotate the finished envelope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too thought this would work and it does even attempt to align the text with the box and here is the result, although not the desired results.

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 4.JPG

Capture 5.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-08 um 00.55.12.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-08 um 00.55.25.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-08 um 00.55.32.png

Also: doesn't the Shear tool work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I appreciate that it works for you, the problem is I don't want to have to "recreate" all the shapes by hand horizontally. To rebuild all the shapes to be horizontal and then try to piece them together, would be a substantial amount of time wasted for the project. Why isn't it possible to create my outline, cut them as needed and then place the text. If I build the shape and need to change it an anchor, it doesn't shape correctly. What is causing AI to not set it the same as the horizontal text with the shape? I guess ultimately I'm wondering why it worked fine in one project and not in the next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you could use the new Puppet Tool to make the transformations -  Transform vector graphics using the Puppet Warp tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I don't want to have to "recreate" all the shapes by hand horizontally. To rebuild all the shapes to be horizontal and then try to piece them together, would be a substantial amount of time wasted for the project.

Who said anything about recreating or rebuilding anything?

> I too thought this would work and it does even attempt to align the text with the box and here is the result, although not the desired results.

What you showed in your screenshot has nothing to do with what Monica suggested. Do this. It should take you all of 10 seconds.

winners.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kris - being condescending doesn't help anyone.

I'm not looking for answers on how to do this process, I'm looking for answers on why the text is bending, contorting, aka - not conforming to the shape after cutting a shape as I need them even after I rotate them horizontal. The second pic in the OP is one project I completed by creating the outline of the object, (the fork), I made lines through the object to give me the desired results to place text, wrote the text, placed the text and it conformed as expected, but now, it's not.

Can anyone answer why the text isn't conforming to the shape regardless of position of the shape?

Monika wrote:

> In your other project it was simpler to make meshes.

Why is that? What is causing that to happen? Why did it work in that project and not in my new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mesh is basically a table. It has 4 corner points. Illustrator tries to find vorners in the shape you provide. But this gets more difficult when the shape is diagonal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mesh always has bezier handles associated with the corner anchor points. Select any corner of a mesh with the Direct Select tool and you will see the handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there isn't really a great way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you can try to fix it:

Add an anchor point somewhere:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-08 um 22.20.15.png

Select the 4 corners with direct selection tool and then Object > Make gradient mesh. Should look like this:

Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-08 um 22.20.34.png

But instead you should select 1 row 1 column

Then select this mesh and the text and Object > Envelope > Make with top object.

This might still go wrong, when Illustrator doesn't align the text correctly. But you can at least try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines