• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Announcement of a new very highend nVidia CUDA card

LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nVidia has just announced the new Titan V.   "v" is the Volta chip which is the next step beyond the current Pascal.  It has 5120 CUDA cores!  The Titan V cards also include 12GB of 1.7 Gb/s HMB2 memory that operates on a 3,072-bit memory bus and provides 653 GB/s of memory bandwidth.  These amazing specs will cost you a mere $3000 if you can find one.  It is targeted at Scientists and Researchers and of course at that price not consumers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke  wrote

nVidia has just announced the new Titan V.   "v" is the Volta chip which is the next step beyond the current Pascal.  It has 5120 CUDA cores!  The Titan V cards also include 12GB of 1.7 Gb/s HMB2 memory that operates on a 3,072-bit memory bus and provides 653 GB/s of memory bandwidth.  These amazing specs will cost you a mere $3000 if you can find one.  It is targeted at Scientists and Researchers and of course at that price not consumers.

Let's be real clear on this: those 5120 CUDA cores will be an awesome addition to any video editing rig, but you'll be overpaying for them, but a long shot.  The Titan V is not really designed with video editors in mind (even with those CUDAs).  Or, more accurately, it's not priced with video editors in mind.  The key thing with Volta is the Tensor cores, which have absolutely no bearing on video editing whatsoever.  They're meant for AI/learning sort of stuff, and are the main reason for the $3000 price tag.  The HBM2 memory isn't helping pricing, either.

Basically this is a slightly de-contented Tesla with the GV100 chip on it.  They've removed NVLink from it, slowed the VRAM down a bit, added display ports, and done a couple of other things to differentiate it from the very expensive Tesla card.  But it is, for all intents and purposes, a Tesla card.

The GTX cards will be forthcoming.  Whether they're built from Volta or from the next gen GPU is yet to be seen.  But hopefully we'll hear something from NVidia on that soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jasonvp  wrote

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke   wrote

[snip]

The GTX cards will be forthcoming.  Whether they're built from Volta or from the next gen GPU is yet to be seen.  But hopefully we'll hear something from NVidia on that soon.

But it is a step in the right direction.  It's a good while since PCGames published their teaser, and it was hard to give that article too much credence as no other site, that I could find, backed them up.  In fact I suspect they are quietly relieved to be able to update their lone voice with harder information.  Of course, the big question is how it will perform at Ethereum mining?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jasonvp  wrote

I do not quite understand that statement.

As far as I can see it pure and simply the Titan V s a GTX card.  If you look at the nVidia GeForce drivers page you will find the drivers for it.  I would suspect to see Premiere Pro CUDA benchmarking of the Titan V. sometime in the next few months

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bill+Gehrke  wrote

As far as I can see it pure and simply the Titan V s a GTX card.  If you look at the nVidia GeForce drivers page you will find the drivers for it.  I would suspect to see Premiere Pro CUDA benchmarking of the Titan V. sometime in the next few months

Again: this is a slightly de-contented Tesla (GV100) GPU, which is not what NVidia has done with the Titans in the past.  The previous GTX-branded Titans have been the Gx102 GPU, which always had fewer CUDAs than the main Gx100 chip along with some other things removed (slower memory, less memory, different memory, etc).  This time, they're going full-on GV100 with HBM2 VRAM, NVLink fingers that have been disabled (vs SLI fingers).

It's not a GTX card.  Don't let the driver location mislead you.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we don't see a Quadro series of cards for Volta.  I'll bet this is it, just renamed.  IF NVidia decides to do a series of GTX cards for the Volta line, my gut tells me they'll have a Titan Xv to further muddy and confuse the waters.  It'll be based off the (as yet to be announced) GV102 GPU and will be priced similar to today's Titan Xp.  That means around $1200 or so.  And it probably won't have HBM2 (among other things).

Or they'll just skip Volta altogether for the GTX cards.  We'll have to wait and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodness!  Puget Systems have already got their hands on one, and it actually seems to be working pretty well for them.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2017/12/12/A-quick-look-at-Titan-V-rendering-performance-1083/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Trevor!  Are you willing to mortgage the house to get one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines