• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do AEGPs work with aerender?

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there. I have a very specific problem. I need to change fonts in an after effects project and render it without opening user interface. I can use only aerender.exe.

Previously I thought it was possible with scripting. So I invested about a month on learning javascript/extendscript. After that I was able to write a script, which could take a font name from external data and change in the project. But the problem was scripts refused to work with aerender. Even if I put scripts in startup folder aerender simply ignored them.

After a research I came across after effects SDK. I looked through it and found a sample project called Text twiddler, which basically could do some manipulation with text layers. Also I found out that AEGPs can run scripts internally. But have no idea if it can be done without opening after effects user interface.

I’m not a programmer, so I’m going to start learning C++ to implement my idea. But before doing it, I want to clarify, if it is possible to write a plugin which will take a font name from an external data (text file) and change text layers in project working with aerender.

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Hi there,

AE projects should not be modified in aerender.exe, but you could launch a headless AE using the command line afterfx.exe -noUI on macOS, or afterfx.com -noUI on Win.

From the plug-in SDK Guide:

After Effects can be driven by executing scripts from the commandline. In your script, you can open the project and run script actions on it. So for example, you can execute the following statement to run a script from the command line directly:

AfterFX -s "app.quit()"

Or you can execute this statem

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

AE projects should not be modified in aerender.exe, but you could launch a headless AE using the command line afterfx.exe -noUI on macOS, or afterfx.com -noUI on Win.

From the plug-in SDK Guide:

After Effects can be driven by executing scripts from the commandline. In your script, you can open the project and run script actions on it. So for example, you can execute the following statement to run a script from the command line directly:

AfterFX -s "app.quit()"

Or you can execute this statement to run a .jsx script that includes a quit at the end:

AfterFX -r path_to_jsx_script

On Windows, AfterFX.com is the way to get feedback to the console, because AfterFX.com is a command line application.

You can modify fonts using scripting, which may be easier to approach than writing an AEGP:

http://docs.aenhancers.com/other/textdocument/?highlight=font

See also:

https://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3084

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Zac,

I wasn't aware that after effects projects shouldn't be modified with aerender.

But my question still remains open. Will AEGPs (I mean any AEGP) work with aerender or they necessarily need afterfx.exe or afterfx.com to be run?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines