• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selection Tool Switching to a different object when I click [2017]

Participant ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to CC 2018, and it all works fine, except the selection tool. When I click on a layer, let's say a photo on a design I'm working on, it switches to a different layer. So I can't move the layer with the tool. The only way I seem to be able to move layers around my design is with the Free Transform tool. This is bizarre and slowing me down.

Any thoughts on how to fix/alter this action to how it should be working? I attached two screen-shots, the first is the layer I want to move, the second shows the result after I click on it with the selection toolBefore.PNGAfter.PNG

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Do you mean the selection tool or the move tool. If it is the latter then uncheck "Auto-select" in the options bar

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the selection tool or the move tool. If it is the latter then uncheck "Auto-select" in the options bar

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! All fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to mention -- as I did in another thread -- thatI have been having the exact same problem. It began when I recently updated to Photoshop 25. Regardless of whether or not Auto-Select Layer is enabled, the problem continues to occur when I use the Move tool. The minute I use my mouse to try to move an image, or text, or any other object in a layer, Photoshop automatically switches to a different layer, and it moves that object instead. It is really driving me nuts.

One way to get around this problem is by using the arrow keys instead. However, that is rather tediouos.

The only other way I have discovered to overcome it -- which is also tedious -- is by making all of the other layers invisible. By doing so, the Move tool is forced to move the object I actually want to move.

I am using Photoshop 25.1.0 on a 2019 5K iMac running Sonoma 14.1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@WordWeaver 

If AutoSelect is turned off, try two things:

1. First, reset the Move tool. Right-click the tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and choose Reset Tool. This will enable AutoSelect again, so disable it.

2. Only if that does not fix your issue, try this:

backup, then reset your Preferences. If you do it manually by renaming the file, you can restore the original if it does not work. 
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#backup-photoshop-preferences

One more thing: macOS Sonoma 14.1.0 created a lot of bugs in Photoshop that were fixed when Apple updated to 14.1.1. You might also do that update.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Jane. Resetting the tool appears to have fixed the problem. I tried moving an object in some of my .psd docs that are five years old, and then I  tried some recently-created images. In each case, the correct object was moved. Such a simple solution, and I was not aware of it. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines