• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why there is no eye gaze on Maddy puppet?

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded "Maddy" for studying her walk cycle and I didn't change anything in her structure.
By trying to move her around I noticed that the eye gaze doesn't function.
Is this a bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

For some reason, the Frontal view's pupils were also tagged "pupil range" This prevented them from moving. I deleted this tag, then the Eye Gaze behavior properly tagged the Eyeball layer as "pupil range".

That got the Frontal view working, but like DanTull mentions, that top level Eye Gaze behavior only "sees" the one view of the head. Putting an Eye Gaze behavior on the frontal/left profile/right profile groups allowed each Eye Gaze behavior to work for the eye groups within it.

I also dropped

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was initially puzzled by this as well, and then I noticed (at least in the frontal head on the frontal body view), the pupils are also tagged with pupil range which means they have no room to move. The range tags are also correctly on the eyeballs and once I removed those stray range tags on the pupils, the eyes moved freely again.

Now that I look though, some of the other views aren't responding to eye gaze, either. Still looking at those to see what's going on there. Probably just some tags that aren't applied. The Eye Gaze panel in rig is only listing some of the views as having the required tags. Since the puppet is focused on multi-view walking, it probably just never got fully rigged for eye gaze support.

Dan Tull

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like having multiple heads in multiple bodies (two levels of view types) means that I had to add the Eye Gaze behavior to the frontal/left profile/right profile views to make it find all the heads/eyes. There's also a couple of the views where the pupils leave the eye area or move a bit strangely (I think this is due to some of the pupils showing up with different layer dimensions than expected which may just mean some stray pixels in the layer).

I'll ask internally if the behavior is intended to handle this situation with one behavior at the top level or not.

DT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the Frontal view's pupils were also tagged "pupil range" This prevented them from moving. I deleted this tag, then the Eye Gaze behavior properly tagged the Eyeball layer as "pupil range".

That got the Frontal view working, but like DanTull mentions, that top level Eye Gaze behavior only "sees" the one view of the head. Putting an Eye Gaze behavior on the frontal/left profile/right profile groups allowed each Eye Gaze behavior to work for the eye groups within it.

I also dropped the eye gaze strength so her pupils didn't leave here eyeballs and adding clipping masks so the pupils would stay behind the eyelids. We'll update the posted Maddy ASAP, but in the meantime, I've attached it to this message.

I do think we need more control over the left and right eyes independently.

Dan R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to Dan Tull and Dan Ramirez!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines