2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 8:17 AM by jl2000

Need help defining "undefined"

jl2000 Level 1
      Hi -

I have a function on level0 that I use to condense the code for creating textfields throughout my project. In this function the parameter for instancename is "s". Then when I call the function I replace "s" with the name of the textfield I'm using at that point in the project. This is working well.

In one specific swf (Topic3) I need to add a scrollbar component to a textfield named "panel_txt" so I associate the sb with panel_txt in the usual way - but it's not working. The scrollbar appears willy nilly on the screen. So I traced panel_txt in that swf and got "undefined".

If I trace "s" at the source (the function at level0) - when the swf with panel_txt loads, the trace returns "panel_txt". But at the point where the function is called - panel_txt is "undefined". It's there but its not there.

How do I define panel_txt at Topic 3 so I can attach a scrollbar to it?

TIA some suggestions.

JL
        • 1. Re: Need help defining "undefined"
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant
          Is panel_txt inside the Topic3 movieClip? How and/or where are you assigning the text to that textField? Is this different from how or where you are trying to assign the scrollbar?
          • 2. Re: Need help defining "undefined"
            jl2000 Level 1
            Hi Rob - Thanks for the reply. I'm in way over my head with this.

To answer your ques - Yes - panel_txt is inside the Topic3 swf. More precisely, the CALL to the function that creates panel_txt is on the main timeline/action layer of Topic 3. The panel_txt.htmlText is part of the function call.

How I am assigning the text and the scrollbar is shown in the attached code. The "Where" is as already stated "on the main timeline/action layer of Topic 3.

I hope I have all the terminology correct in my explanation. Does this help?

Thanks for any input that can solve this. I have tons of these Topic swfs.

jl