Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Presenter 11, JAWS, and 508 Compliant PPTs

Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fellow Adobe Presenter users,

I'm running into some accessibility frustrations. Adobe's documentation here: Accessibility and 508-compliance States that, "The following elements of an Adobe Presenter output are accessible through JAWS (in addition to the keyboard):

• Playbar controls including the attachments
  • Side panes including Outline, Thumb, Notes, and Search Pane
  • Slide notes
  • Content on the slides including text, actions, hyperlinks, images, and quizzes"

I cannot for the life of me get the screen reader to read the slide notes. To verify, this is stating that JAWS will read the notes pane of the published Adobe Presenter file, correct? Using JAWS, how is this accomplished? Do you have steps or a demo to show users how this can be done?

Also, is anyone else experiencing issues with reading order? Even though I have set the reading order, JAWS, NVDA, and Windows Narrator are all still picking up pieces of graphics I have grouped together, things embedded in the master slide, and other phantom things that I can't figure out what they are, when I tab around the screen.

Any solutions anyone can share would be super appreciated! I offer my undying gratitude to your brilliance. Thanks!

TOPICS
Presenter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set the Theme for your presentation to force the Notes pane to the front? I believe this is required to meet the 508 compliance of having Captions and something that JAWS can see and read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the notes pane is set to the front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like some input. After attempting to use Lectora and Captivate to create a class that is 99% 508 compliant due to Federal Regs, my manager has requested that I use Presenter to create a 508 compliant course. The direction is to record a ppt, add audio and closed caption and publish. I am concerned with issues regarding the Focus, keyboard accessibility, the TOC, etc. Has anyone had to publish to 508 standards? I am just curious as I don't want to waste  more time before finding issues.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me how to set the Theme for the presentation to force the Notes pane to the front? The notes pane is not accessible using Jaws. Also the keyboard focus is not always apparent. I don't know what else to do.  Thanks for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you are in the Theme Editor, select the Notes pane as the default pane.

Or, uncheck all the panes other than Notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I really appreciate the information!

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when the focus is on the navigation keys, i.e., “Next page”, “Previous Page”, etc., shouldn’t JAWs be saying that? These are the default buttons in Presenter. This is my first course in trying to be 100% compliant and it is very frustrating.

I also have code that I have been inputting in the published Captivate source code to make the Focus darker the line thicker, but do not see where I can edit that in the Presenter source code.

It is obvious that I am a novice with the 508 issues, I appreciate your help,

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not obvious

The problem is that Presenter just squeaks in as 508 compliant. Here is the explanation of how it works with compliance, Adobe Presenter accessibility

Not sure that you can change the focus color, or if it is related to the highlight color in the theme editor.

If you want more control over things, then I'd probably stick with Captivate. Presenter is a great tool until it is missing features you need. Then then answer is just to go to Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am frustrated with the software as they all claim to be compliant.

Thanks for your insight and the link, I appreciate it.

Carol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources