• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Set kerning and tracking increments for the keyboard shortcuts?

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When kerning type the keyboard shortcut adjusts spacing by +/-20 units. It doesn't specify what units but I'm guessing it's points? The other fields are in points, but the kerning and leading fields don't specify.

Doesn't really matter.

What I'd like to do is be able to adjust that amount, change the increment to say 5 units for finer control. I'm starting to design more and more on photoshop. I would love to be able to set type quickly, instead of entering values manually. It would be very useful to be able to set the kerning, tracking, and leading increments like those apps allow us to.

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Budd:

Tracking and kerning are both measured in 1/1000 em, a unit of measure that is relative to the current type size. In a 6‑point font, 1 em equals 6 points; in a 10‑point font, 1 em equals 10 points. Kerning and tracking are strictly proportional to the current type size. (Leading is measured in points.)

InDesign and Illustrator—which both place a strong emphasis on typography—allow you to adjust the default increment amounts in Preferences. Photoshop—primarily an image editing application—does not have the equivalent feature.

InDesign:

Screenshot 2017-12-12 19.36.56.png

Illustrator:

Screenshot 2017-12-12 19.47.39.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb. That's disappointing that photoshop doesn't have a similar feature. Although it's an image editing application I don't think that's the only way Photoshop is used in the marketplace. I hope Adobe recognizes that in the future. I often have to treat typography just like imagery, which is why it would be great to have quick and customizable ways to set type the same way I can with Indesign and Illustrator. Thanks again for your thorough and definitive answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree with you that Photoshop is no longer only an image editing application. There’s a lot of overlap between these applications these days. Are you aware you can add images to Illustrator—I wonder If that would be helpful in your workflow?

And you can certainly add this as a Photoshop feature request:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

totally man! my kerning is all over the place in photoshop cause I can't set the units smaller. Adobe please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am just bumping this thread since I don't want to start a new thread. Photoshop 2023 is now released and we still can't kern properly in Photoshop due to the lack of controlling the increments. I do a lot of banners in Photoshop with texts in them. It is really time consuming to have to make the texts in Illustrator and do the kerning there and then place them in Photoshop. Since I use the brush/pixelgraphics a lot on the go when I'm working with the texts, I can't make the banners in any other program either. 

TL;DR: Please implement Kerning Increment Control in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting this thread to a feature request, please vote on top if you are interested!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In prior versions of Photoshop they had that feature. I used it all the time. For some idiotic reason they got rid of it. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what the heck, they took it out?

let's hope they add it back, because the increments are all messed up in the current build

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bruno27803690dlfg and @llealloo I'm afraid thatthis might be a false memory: if Photoshop had that feature, someone would have written a tip about it, and a web search would give us a trace, but there is none I can find. I think that you are mixing the Id or Ai preference. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory#Mandela_effect ) 
And this does not remove the need to set it up in Photoshop, but I just wanted to avoid misinformation to spread.

Votes

Translate

Translate