2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 5:02 PM by Joey12Williams

Best way to incorporate After Effects into Animate

Joey12Williams

I am trying to make some HTML5  and I find making my animations on After Effects way simpler than using Animate (specifically because of trim paths). However, I've yet to find a way to cleanly integrate the MP4 into Animate. I've tried:

- Using the video component and ActionScript to pause the video and timeline on certain frames, then replay both on a click function

But: playback is never frame perfect when I publish this. sometimes the video wants to pause a couple frames before or after the spot I put my pause function

-Converting the After Effects video into HTML via bodymovin
           But: it doesn't look like you can import HTML into Animate

-Converting the MP4 into OGV and WebM files

But: Animate doesn't want to import either of those, I get a "problem reading them" error message every time.

I would greatly appreciate some insight, maybe I'm doing something wrong here or there is an easier method I've yet to try.

• 1. Re: Best way to incorporate After Effects into Animate
          ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

Joey12Williams  wrote

I would greatly appreciate some insight, maybe I'm doing something wrong here or there is an easier method I've yet to try.

Yes, what you're trying to do is very wrong. You can't end-run around Animate's limitations by doing everything as After Effects videos and then think you can get away with controlling the end result with the same fidelity as it it was a native Animate animation.

If you're absolutely dead-set on using Animate as a glorified LaserDisc player, then your best bet is to chop your animation up into individual video files. Set each video playing when needed, then listen for it to complete, etc.

Alternatively, you can do your animations directly within Animate, which will give you precise control, and about a hundredth the file size.

• 2. Re: Best way to incorporate After Effects into Animate
            Joey12Williams Level 1

I was scared this was going to be the correct answer .

Thanks for your insight, I guess I'll start learning animating with Animate. I just wish they had a trim path feature. lines are easy to tween, but circles and polygons don't tween quite as easily as they trim path.