3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2018 4:27 AM by willd79222299

Mac User: The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open.

Allabout Level 1

When using the Save As function, I keep receiving the error message "The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder." I am using Acrobat Pro 9, the files are not read-only, and no one else is ever using the files. This has been an ongoing issue that has not been resolved with any of the other thousands of reports that I have searched. Please help to resolve this issue. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Mac User: The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open.
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Acrobat 9 is very old and not compatible with any current operating system, so problems with it are to be expected.

Having said that this issue can sometimes occur when the file is locked by the operating system because of the Preview panel in Windows Explorer. Try disabling it and see if that solves the problem.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mac User: The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open.
            Allabout Level 1

Thank you for your response. As indicated, I am a Mac user. I do not see a Preview panel in Acrobat. Also, this problem began prior to my version being antiquated. No one ever responded until now and trying to obtain resolution with Adobe technical support was always to no avail. Any assistance is helpful as I am not considering an upgrade to a current version seeing that even DC users report the same issue.

• 3. Re: Mac User: The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open.
              willd79222299

Are you including full points in the file (PDF) name your saving with? I had this problem saving files ending with dates like this:-

Example document 30.11.2018

This worked:-

Example document 30-11-2018

This happened to me saving PDFs for the first time from the web. However, once I had saved them to my computer and opened them to save again, for filing else where, I found I could use 'full points' towards the end of the document name!!

To summarise, If I saved the same document (PDF) from the web for the first time (not tried other sources) without the full points, saves fine. The issue may be due the full points at the end of files/documents being intended to tell the operating system, Windows/Mac etc, that its the end of the user document name and the file extension type follows (this tells the computer what type of file it is and what program will open it). For example:-

.pdf        .jpg       .tiff       .eps       .gif

You may not see the file extension type abbreviation, as you need to change the "document view" settings as an option to see them. Not sure I have explained myself well, but this cured my problem. Hope this helps someone!