• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can not create a PDF

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2017 Dec 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered that I can not create a PDF from a Microsoft Word doc when it contains the font; Segoe UI Light or Segoe Script.  Is there a way to add this font?   It's already in my fonts on Windows 10. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you converting the file from Word to PDF, exactly?

What happens when you attempt to do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have actually tried several ways; one is using "convert to PDF" in the tabs of Microsoft Word with the file I want to convert, open.  It starts to convert, but only gets about 10% complete.  The other way I've tried is opening Adobe PDF maker and opening the file from within the program.  I believe I've tired other alternative methods to see if anything works; but nothing does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat and of Office you do have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using  Office 2003 (student/teacher) and Adobe CS4. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all fonts are licensed to be embedded in a PDF. Sorry!

Read this more more info:

Font embedding permissions | Adobe Type

Segoe UI font licensing - Graphic Design Stack Exchange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean they had a license and then lost it for that particular font?  Because before I had to update to Windows 10, I was able to create PDFS without any problem using that font previously.  I must have 500 patterns converted to PDF, all using the font I stated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is certainly true that “not all fonts are licensed to be embedded in a PDF” but the fact is that all the Segoe fonts in Windows 10 have their permissions set to allow embedding in PDF. The embedding privileges are set to editable. Thus, this is not the source of the OP's problem.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the fonts are installed on Windows 10, they should be accessible in Office applications although I will note that Office 2003 is somewhat old and may have issues under Windows 10.

If you can post a copy of a problematic Word document, we can see whether there are in fact any issues, at least with modern versions of Office and Acrobat.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems that we may have found the problem that can be tried for anyone else having issues with creating a PDF in which the font doesn't come through but as gibberish or fails in attempting to create the file. 

I'm not sure which, if both, might have helped solve this.

1:  We opened a Word doc, added text and image, then went to "print" and selected Adobe PDF from the menu, clicked on "properties" and then clicked the tab; "settings."  Then we deselected "rely on systems font only, do not use document fonts.

2:  We also ticked Adobe PDF within the computer printer settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines